French Onion Soup. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home.
Add the onion and fry over high heat for few minutes. Remove the lid, sprinkle in the sugar and. Add the flour and stir to coat the onions. You can cook French Onion Soup using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- You need 2 tbsp of butter.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 5 medium of onions.
- It’s 1 tbsp of flour.
- You need 1 tsp of rosemary.
- Prepare 1 cup of dry red wine.
- Prepare 6 cup of Beef stock.
- It’s 1 of ground black pepper (to taste).
- It’s 1/2 of baguette (cut into slices).
- You need 3 cup of provolone cheese (shredded).
- You need 1 tbsp of chives.
- It’s 1 of garlic clove.
Now served without the beef, the quality of the onions is crucial. You want both high acidity and high sugar levels to create a fully-flavoured soup. The best French onion soup is made by creating layers of flavour, starting with a good quality beef stock, then adding caramelised onions and wine. My version uses Essential Cuisine's Veal Jus, which adds a luxuriously rich flavour boost to the finished soup.
French Onion Soup step by step
- To caramelize the onions. Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy bottomed Dutch oven or saucepan over low heat. Add onions. Cook onions stirring regularly until onions are dark golden brown color, about 45 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium. Add rosemary and flour. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually stir in red wine. Let reduce for 5 to 10 minutes then add beef stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Finish with fresh ground pepper..
- Brush slices with olive oil and toast under broiler until lightly golden. Rub with garlic..
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with toasted bread and provolone cheese. Broil until cheese melts and bubbles, about 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with chopped chives.
Served with melting Gruyere toasts, this is the ultimate winter comfort dish. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Pour in the white wine and saute until wine has evaporated. Add the oil, onions, salt, pepper, and sugar. French onion soup, an incomparably delicious and heartwarming dish of minced onions and beef stock, toasted bread, and grated and grilled Comté cheese, is a national treasure.