Sweet, Spicy, Rich Tofu Steaks. Great recipe for Sweet, Spicy, Rich Tofu Steaks. I was working on recipes that used our family favorite Sweet and Spicy Sauce. At first I tried it without mayonnaise, and it was 'just ok', not worth writing up as a recipe.
These Blackened Steaks are made with extra-firm tofu that is marinated in a salty and spicy sauce and then grilled to charred perfection for an impressive vegan meal that is also low-carb and gluten-free. Spicy Oven Baked Tofu Steaks When it comes to flavouring meat in any Ghanaian household, ginger, garlic, onion and scotch bonnet peppers are the essentials to make any meat option taste good. These are the flavours I drew on to make this spicy oven baked tofu. You can have Sweet, Spicy, Rich Tofu Steaks using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sweet, Spicy, Rich Tofu Steaks
- Prepare 1 block of Firm tofu.
- It’s 1 of Leek (the white part).
- It’s 1 of for coating the tofu Katakuriko.
- You need 1 of Vegetable oil.
- Prepare of 1 serving of All-Purpose Sweet and Spicy Sauce (Recipe ID: 701600) prepared with the ★ ingredients below.
- You need 2 tbsp of each ★ Sugar, soy sauce, mirin, sake.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ★ Doubanjiang.
- You need 1 of heaping tablespoon Mayonnaise.
The flavor in question for this baked tofu recipe is due, in large part, to a spice blend. Loaded with cumin, chili powder, garlic and paprika (among others), this spice blend is mixed with a little olive oil and water and spread on the tofu steaks. It's not quite a marinade, and not quite a dry rub – although there are elements of both. The Tofu Steaks Start with a block of extra-firm tofu.
Sweet, Spicy, Rich Tofu Steaks instructions
- Wrap the tofu in kitchen paper towels, place on a heatproof place and microwave at 600 W for 4 minutes, and let cool completely..
- Cut the tofu into easy to eat pieces and coat each piece in katakuriko. As you coat the pieces, put in a frying pan with a generous amount of oil on the bottom one by one..
- Pan fry the tofu over high-medium heat until golden brown on both sides. After all the tofu pieces are fried, push to to one side of the pan and add the ★ ingredients as well as the mayonnaise, to the empty space in the pan..
- Mix well so that the sauce ingredients blend together. Add the chopped leek, and simmer over medium heat until the tofu have browned and are shiny. You're all done..
- Variation: Delicious used as a topping for a rice bowl, topped with a soft-cooked egg. The rice bowl in the photo was made by Cookpad user "Hapi-Mari"..
- Warning: If you use low-fat mayonnaise, it won't blend easily with the sauce!.
In one small bowl, whisk together a batter from some non-dairy milk, flour, flaxseed, vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic. Dip the tofu steaks in the tomato paste mixture, and use a spoon or fork to help spread a thick layer of the sauce on the tofu. Now dip the sauced tofu steak into the breadcrumbs and use your hand to help pat the breadcrumbs onto the tofu. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. To serve, sprinkle with desired amount of the lime zest and add salt to taste.