Japanese Curry Rice. Save time and buy groceries online from Amazon.co.uk Huge Selection on Second Hand Books. Add the garlic and the ginger to the pan and saute well. Add flour and curry powder and saute over low heat.
Proteins such as chicken, beef, pork, and seafood such as shrimps are used generally. Common vegetables used are root vegetables such as potato and carrot. Steps Heat the oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. You can have Japanese Curry Rice using 45 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Japanese Curry Rice
- It’s of For stir-frying.
- You need 11 oz of pork shoulder or beef sliced sukiyaki style.
- It’s 1 tbsp of rapeseed or canola oil.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil.
- It’s 1 of large onion diced.
- Prepare 2 tbsps of finely chopped ginger.
- Prepare 2 tbsps of finely chopped garlic.
- Prepare of Curry.
- It’s 5 cups of Japanese chicken stock/torigara stock.
- It’s 2 of large carrots diced.
- It’s 18 oz of potatoes peeled and diced.
- You need 3 tbsps of curry powder.
- It’s 3 tbsps of garam masala.
- It’s 1 of fuji apple grated.
- You need 1 of bay leaf (optional).
- Prepare of Salt (to taste).
- Prepare of Thickener/seasoning.
- It’s 1 tbsp of potato starch dissolved in 2tbsps of water.
- It’s 2 of tsps mirin.
- Prepare 2 tbsps of soy sauce.
- It’s of Add-ons.
- It’s of Tonkatsu/torikatsu.
- Prepare of Pork gyoza.
- Prepare of Tatsuta-age.
- Prepare of Grilled/steamed vegetables.
- It’s of Mushrooms.
- You need of Soft-boiled eggs.
- Prepare of Fukujinzuke.
- You need of Ebi furai.
- It’s of Croquettes.
- It’s of Cheese.
- It’s of Burger patty.
- Prepare of Fried squid.
- Prepare of Fried fish.
- Prepare of Omelet (top on rice).
- You need of Optional ingredients (add to taste).
- You need of Oyster sauce.
- Prepare of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need of Yogurt.
- It’s of Butter.
- It’s of Tonkatsu sauce.
- You need of Honey.
- You need of Coffee.
- You need of Chocolate.
- It’s of Milk.
Japanese curry quickly became a sensation, and a thing all its own. For the Curry Spice Blend: In a spice grinder, combine coriander, cumin, fenugreek, cardamom, black peppercorns, fennel, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and orange peel (if using) and grind to a fine powder. Empty into a small bowl and combine with turmeric, chili powder, and nutmeg, then set aside. Rice; Japanese Curry Rice (Kare Raisu) Start Reading Mode.
Japanese Curry Rice instructions
- Cut the pork slices crosswise into 1/6-inch (4 cm) strips..
- In a medium heavy pot, heat the oils over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Slide in the pork or beef and stir-fry for I-2 minutes, then add the onion and cook, stirring, until the pork has browned and the onions are deeply golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ginger and garlic in the last minute or two before the pork and onions are done..
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, add the carrots, apple and potatoes, and cook until just cooked through, 5-7 minutes..
- In a small bowl, blend the curry powder with a small amount of broth from the pot to make a slurry. Add that to the pot..
- Add the potato starch mixture, mirin, and soy sauce and simmer until thickened, 7-10 minutes longer. Add any additional ingredient of choice here..
- If the bottom of the pan is browning or sticking, adjust the heat to low. Serve hot on top of a bed of Japanese rice. The curry rice heats up well for leftovers over the course of several days..
Japanese curry rice is served in anything from a flat plate to a soup bowl. The curry is poured over rice in any manner and amount. Japanese short-grain rice, which is sticky and round, is preferred, rather than the medium-grain variety used in Indian dishes. Japanese Curry Rice (カレーライス) is a lot less spicy than its Indian counterparts, it's also quite sweet and thick like a stew. It's safe to say that curry and rice is now one of the most popular dishes in Japan.