Lemon Meringue Pie. Add the lemon cornflour mixture to the hot water and stir over the heat until the mixture has thickened, then remove from the heat. Mix the cornflour, golden caster sugar and lemon zest in a medium saucepan. Strain and stir in the lemon juice gradually.
A modern twist on the well-loved lemon meringue pie, this recipe uses lime and orange as well as lemon in the creamy filling for an exciting citrus flavour. Instead of shortcrust pastry, the case is made with [.] Recipe by: Norma MacMillan Grandmother's lemon meringue pie Bring the lemon filling back to the boil and stir until thickened, then pour it into the pastry case and level the surface. Spoon on the meringue, starting at the edge and working it into the middle. You can cook Lemon Meringue Pie using 12 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lemon Meringue Pie
- Prepare of lemon filling.
- It’s 1 of pre made short crust pastry case or a ready made one.
- Prepare 3 of unwaxed lemons.
- You need 40 grams of cornflour.
- Prepare 300 ml of water.
- You need 3 of egg yolks.
- You need 85 grams of caster sugar.
- It’s 50 grams of unsalted butter diced.
- You need of meringue topping.
- It’s 4 of egg whites.
- It’s 200 grams of caster sugar.
- You need 1 of a loose based flan tin and a baking tray.
Use a palette knife to make a smooth join with the pastry edge, then swirl the top. Either by hand or using a food mixer with a beater attachment, cream the butter, icing sugar, egg yolks, vanilla and lemon zest together. Add the milk and combine well. Tip in the flour and a pinch of salt, then rub or beat to form a dough.
Lemon Meringue Pie step by step
- pre heat the oven to 180 and place a baking tray in to keep nice and hot.
- get your pre ready pastry case and set aside till later.
- rinse the lemons,then grate the zest in a heat proof bowl.
- add the juice from the lemons and the cornflour and stir to make a smooth paste..
- put the water in a pan and bring it up to boil,when boiled pour it in to the lemon mixture stirring constantly with a wooden spoon..
- when thoroughly combined pour the mixture back into the pan and cook stirring constantly untill it boils and thickens. reduce the heat and simmer for a minute..
- remove the pan from the heat and beat in the 3 egg yolks,quickly followed by the sugar and butter. spoon the filling into the pastry case and spread evenly..
- to make the meringue topping, put 4 egg whites in a large bowl and whisk until they stand in soft peaks..
- gradually whisk in the sugar to make a stiff,glossy meringue..
- pile the meringue on top of the lemon filling so its totally covered..
- stand the tart on the hot baking tray and bake for 20mins or untill the meringue is golden Brown. leave to cool and serve at room temperature..
Comforting, zesty and light, lemon meringue pie is the ultimate dessert. A sweet pastry case and thick lemon curd centre, topped with peaks of billowy meringue, the perfect pie is all about getting the right combination of textures, and tart and sweet flavours. Add enough of the water to mix the cornflour to a smooth paste, then pour the rest of the water, along with the grated lemon zest, into a small saucepan. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. The topping should be crunchy above, fluffy and marshmallow-like below, which means a fairly brief cooking time.