Rhubarb meringue pie. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders To assemble the pie, fill the tart case with the rhubarb, standing the pieces on end. Pile most of the meringue on top of the pie, keeping enough back to then pipe pointy peaks over the surface. Whizz with a stick blender or mini.
Whisk the sugar, flour, salt, egg yolks and cream; pour over rhubarb. Put the rhubarb, sugar, orange zest (and grenadine, if you have it) in a large saucepan. Make sure the meringue attaches to the pie crust to prevent shrinking. You can cook Rhubarb meringue pie using 11 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Rhubarb meringue pie
- It’s of flour.
- You need of butter (cold).
- It’s of ginger.
- Prepare of icing sugar.
- Prepare of beaten egg.
- Prepare of rhubarb, cut into chunks (mine was frozen).
- Prepare of sugar.
- It’s of lemon zest.
- It’s of egg whites.
- It’s of sugar.
- Prepare of cornflour.
Use the back of a spoon to create peaks all over the meringue. Evenly scatter rhubarb over the pastry. In a bowl beat egg whites till stiff, gradually adding the sugar. Unfortunately this recipe is not currently online.
Rhubarb meringue pie step by step
- Rub the butter with the flour, icing sugar and ginger until the consistency is like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and mix with your hands till it forms a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 20-30mins..
- While that is chilling, toss the rhubarb, sugar and zest in a bowl and tip into an ovenproof dish. Bake in the oven at 160 for about half an hour until the rhubarb is just tender (about 15mins?) drain the water away and leave aside to cool..
- Turn the oven up to 180. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and carefully transfer it to a loose-bottom pastry tin. (Butter the tin first). Prick the base with a fork and pop back in the fridge for 20mins..
- When the base has chilled, put on top a layer of baking paper with baking beans (or dried rice/beans/lentils and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins.
- When the pastry has been blind baked, discard the paper and leave to cool a bit while you make the meringue.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. Then carefully tip in half the sugar, continuing to whisk. Then whisk in the cornflour and finally the rest of the sugar until it’s smooth and glossy..
- Spoon the rhubarb into the pastry case and then layer on a big dollop of meringue to cover. With the rest you can pipe it through a piping bag and pipe peaks all over the top (or just keep spooning on if you don’t have a piping bag!).
- Bake in the oven for 20-30mins until the meringue is starting to go golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool down before taking it out of the case and cutting it!.
Chop and put in pan with orange juice, heat briefly, drain, but keep liquid. Pile-it-high Orange and Rhubarb Meringue Pie The flavour of orange zest does something quite magical to the flavour of rhubarb, and this light, fluffy meringue pie is a perfect dessert for late spring. 'Pile-it-high meringue', incidentally, applies only if you have extra egg whites to use up or want to make the meringue high. Combine rhubarb and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Combine the sugar, flour and salt; add to the rhubarb mixture.