Meat loaf – Heirloom recipe. With this foolproof recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook, it's simple and fun to do. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, form into two loaves. If you choose to add the eggs, form the loaves around the whole, peeled hard boiled eggs.
Mix ground beef, salt, pepper, onion, bell pepper, egg, tomatoes and oats together well and place in a baking dish. While I love it served fresh and hot, a good next-day meatloaf sandwich is also a comfort food. I serve it with a nice arugula salad with cherry tomatoes, raisins, chopped walnuts, and vinaigrette dressing, or for a southern flare–garlic-smashed potatoes and freshly steamed snap green beans. You can have Meat loaf – Heirloom recipe using 8 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Meat loaf – Heirloom recipe
- You need 1 packages of ground meat loaf mixture of beef, pork and veal – prepackaged is over 1 lb..
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- Prepare 2 slice of whole wheat bread.
- You need 1/4 cup of seasoned bread crumbs.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of thyme.
- You need 1/2 tsp of parsley & marjoram.
- It’s 1 of BBQ or tomato sauce.
- Prepare 1 of milk.
Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Ingredients you'll need for this meatloaf are ketchup, milk, breadcrumbs, eggs, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, ground beef, ground pork, onion, garlic, kosher salt and black pepper. Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, egg and seasonings in large bowl. Shape into a loaf in shallow baking pan.
Meat loaf – Heirloom recipe instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Take a 9" x 9" x 2" baking dish and add a drop of oil. Spread it around so it's a light coating. This prevents the meat from sticking to the bottom..
- In a large bowl add meat loaf blend..
- Wet bread with a little water and squeeze to remove excess water, break up and add to meat. If there's too much water, the bread will be too mushy to work with. Next add egg, herbs and seasoned bread crumbs..
- Mix very well to incorporate all ingredients. The mixture will be stiff. Add milk a splash at a time mixing well after each addition until the meat mixture feels soft and pliable..
- Form meat into a giant burger, place in pan and push in 2 opposite sides to form a flat loaf. As it bakes it will rise a bit..
- Spread a light coating of sweet BBQ sauce over top and sides. Here is where I broke with family tradition instead of using a rich rustico Italian sauce. However, you can use a tomato sauce for an Italian style meat loaf..
- Depending upon how much meat is in the package gives you your timetable for baking. The one pictured here was a 1.36 lb. meat loaf mixture. This one I baked for 68 minutes. The rule is about 1 hour per pound. I've always taken it out 5 minutes prior and let the meat rest for 5 minutes or so before slicing..
- Hint about meat thermometers. Meat loaf holds in moisture. Once you stick a thermometer in to check the temp then pull it out. All those lovely juices will come out too..
Pour tomato sauce over meat loaf. This is a Meatloaf recipe for people who love their Meatloaf oozing with flavour, moist and tender yet not crumble apart when sliced, and a sticky caramelised meatloaf glaze. It's so much more than just a giant hunk of ground beef in a loaf shape! Try this once, and you'll treasure this recipe forever! Meatloaf recipe Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, egg and seasonings in large bowl.