French Onion Soup. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Fine French Products Delivered All Over The UK Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan.
The whole thing is finished off with crunchy baked croutons of crusty bread topped with melted, toasted cheese. Melt the butter and oil in a deep saucepan. Add the onion and fry over high heat for few minutes. You can have French Onion Soup using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- You need of butter.
- It’s of olive oil.
- It’s of onions.
- You need of flour.
- Prepare of rosemary.
- Prepare of dry red wine.
- Prepare of Beef stock.
- It’s of ground black pepper (to taste).
- Prepare of baguette (cut into slices).
- Prepare of provolone cheese (shredded).
- Prepare of chives.
- Prepare of garlic clove.
Remove the lid, sprinkle in the sugar and. Add the flour and stir to coat the onions. Now served without the beef, the quality of the onions is crucial. You want both high acidity and high sugar levels to create a fully-flavoured soup.
French Onion Soup instructions
- To caramelize the onions. Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy bottomed Dutch oven or saucepan over low heat. Add onions. Cook onions stirring regularly until onions are dark golden brown color, about 45 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium. Add rosemary and flour. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually stir in red wine. Let reduce for 5 to 10 minutes then add beef stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Finish with fresh ground pepper..
- Brush slices with olive oil and toast under broiler until lightly golden. Rub with garlic..
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with toasted bread and provolone cheese. Broil until cheese melts and bubbles, about 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with chopped chives.
FREE Delivery on your first order shipped. The best French onion soup is made by creating layers of flavour, starting with a good quality beef stock, then adding caramelised onions and wine. My version uses Essential Cuisine's Veal Jus, which adds a luxuriously rich flavour boost to the finished soup. Served with melting Gruyere toasts, this is the ultimate winter comfort dish. French onion soup On a chilly winter's day a bowl of soup really hits the spot.