Chicken Nanban. Koop nu het Boek Nanban van Tim Anderson. Chicken Nanban is always served with a side of Japanese tartar sauce, and it usually includes some thinly shredded cabbage on the side. In a Chicken Nanban Teishoku (定食 – set meal), it also typically includes a bowl of rice and miso soup.
The chicken is lightly battered and fried, then dipped in sweet and sour sauce just like Nanbanzuke, marinaded fried fish with vegetables. Chicken Nanban is a Kyūsyū region take on the popular Japanese fried chicken "Karaage". It is a delicious version and an easy authentic Japanese recipe. You can have Chicken Nanban using 19 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken Nanban
- Prepare 2 of Chicken breast.
- You need 1 of Cake flour.
- Prepare 2 of Beaten egg.
- Prepare 1 dash of less than needed for deep frying Vegetable oil.
- It’s of For the sauce:.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Rice vinegar.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Soy sauce.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Raw cane sugar (or regular sugar).
- It’s 2 tbsp of Mirin.
- You need 1 tbsp of Cooking sake.
- You need of Tartar Sauce:.
- Prepare 2 of Boiled egg.
- You need 2 tbsp of Mayonnaise (I used light mayo).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Ketchup.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Milk.
- You need 2 tbsp of Finely chopped onions.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Dried parsley.
- Prepare 1 dash of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Lemon juice.
Why not try it one night with the family instead of KFC? Chicken nanban is an example of "yoshoku", Western style food that has been adapted to suit Japanese tastes. This succulent chicken dish originated in Miyazaki Prefecture in the far South of Japan. Topped off with rich tartar sauce, this dish is particularly nice with a side of chips or new potatoes.
Chicken Nanban instructions
- Thinly slice the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper..
- Add the ingredients for the marinade into a small saucepan and let it simmer gently. Combine all of the ingredients for the tartar sauce in a separate bowl..
- Coat the chicken from Step 1 in a layer of flour and then a layer of beaten egg and fry in a little oil..
- While the chicken from Step 3 is still hot, place it in the marinade and leave for a while for the flavours to soak in..
- To finish, simply arrange on a plate with the tartar sauce..
Chicken Nanban is a local specialty in Miyazaki Prefecture. The nanban sauce goes great with the tartar sauce. The meat is tender and juicy. Finely chop the onion to be used for the tartar. Inspired by Portuguese food, Chicken Nanban is fusion cuisine at its finest and one of Japan's most popular ways to enjoy fried chicken.