Braised Chinese Pork Belly (Special Dongpo Recipe). Expose all the sides of the pork belly to the honey-oil-mixture of ingredients. Add chicken stock, soy sauce and sweet thick soy sauce to the mixture. Again mix the pork belly and expose all its side to the stock-honey-oil-ingredients concoction.
Over the centuries, this dish has become very popular, and once you taste it, you'll know why! Heat up the wok, put the pork skin side down to sear until it becomes slightly brown. Blanch pork in a pot of hot water for five minutes. You can cook Braised Chinese Pork Belly (Special Dongpo Recipe) using 15 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Braised Chinese Pork Belly (Special Dongpo Recipe)
- It’s of Main Ingredients.
- You need of Pork Belly.
- It’s of Oil.
- Prepare of Garlic.
- Prepare of each Star-Anise.
- It’s of Sichuan Peppercorns.
- It’s of Honey.
- Prepare of Chicken Stock.
- You need of small Ginger.
- Prepare of Thick Sweet Soy Sauce.
- It’s of Light Soy Sauce.
- Prepare of Cinnamon.
- You need of Optional Add-ons.
- Prepare of each Potato.
- It’s of each Cooked Tofu Cubes.
Scatter scallions at the bottom of pot to form a thick even layer. Braised pork belly or Dong Po Rou (东坡肉) is an iconic traditional Chinese braised pork belly recipe of Hangzhou (杭州), created by Su Dong Po, a famous scholar, writer, poet, calligrapher, gastronome, and court official of the Song dynasty. Over the centuries, this dish has become very popular, and once you taste it, you'll know why! Wash the pork belly as a whole piece.
Braised Chinese Pork Belly (Special Dongpo Recipe) instructions
- Preheat oven to 375°F..
- Slice ginger into thin pieces. Dice 3 cloves of garlic into smaller pieces. Crush remaining 3 pieces of garlic..
- Add oil into a roasting pan. Heat roast pan into medium heat..
- Slice pork belly sticks into 3 individual pieces -resulting into 9 pieces. Make more if desired to make larger serving..
- Once the roasting pan is heated, stir fry garlic, ginger, star-anise, sichuan peppercorn together with the oil in medium heat..
- Once the pan is fragrant, slowly add the pork belly into its side one by one and sear it for about 20 seconds each side – with the bottom (opposite to fat side) being the last side to be seared..
- Set the pork belly on their side and add honey all over the dish..
- Expose all the sides of the pork belly to the honey-oil-mixture of ingredients..
- Add chicken stock, soy sauce and sweet thick soy sauce to the mixture..
- Again mix the pork belly and expose all its side to the stock-honey-oil-ingredients concoction..
- Wait for the stock-honey-oil-ingredients to boil..
- If it's boiling, remove from heat. Cover with foil and put it inside the oven. Set the timer to 1 hour and 30 minutes..
- Depending on your desired add-on, add it to the roasting pan at the most appropriate time remaining. Example: Potato = 30 min. Cooked tofu cubes = 15 min..
- Without turning off the oven, take out the pan at the around 45 min. – 1 hour mark and bring it to the range under medium-high heat to a boil. Let boil for 3-5 minutes then immediately bring it inside the oven again..
Blanch it whole in boiling water for one minute and drain. This process gets rid of any impurities and also allows you to more easily cut the pork belly into same-size pieces. Add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and wine, adequate amount of water just to cover the pork belly and boil in high heat. In a wide pot or pan, add the three cups of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat (the water level should be at least half the thickness of the pork belly). Add the pork belly and parboil for a minute on each side, just until the exterior is a bit firm.