Seared Caesar Salad. Seared romaine with cheater Caesar's dressing Seared or grilled romaine gives big flavor to the tender, soft lettuce leaves, paired here with an easy cheater's Caesar salad dressing. I feel like I need to make a confession. Chicken Caesar Salad is a simple and classic recipe.
Without it, it's literally just chicken, lettuce, cheese, and bread cubes. Mash garlic with anchovies in a large salad bowl. Whisk lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, egg yolk, and Worcestershire sauce into the anchovy mixture until mixture is smooth and creamy. You can have Seared Caesar Salad using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Seared Caesar Salad
- It’s 1 head of romaine lettuce.
- You need 10 of cherry/grape tomatoes.
- You need 2 slices of sourdough bread.
- Prepare of Caesar salad dressing (separate recipe).
- It’s of Extra virgin olive oil (as needed).
- Prepare of Parmesan cheese (as needed).
- It’s of Salt and pepper (as needed).
Gradually whisk olive oil into the dressing, pouring the oil into the dressing in a thin stream while stirring constantly. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg product, garlic, anchovy paste, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice. Slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream, whisking the whole time. While whisking rapidly, pour in a few drops of the olive oil.
Seared Caesar Salad step by step
- Read steps to plan for them tempo of recipe. Gather ingredients, knife, large cutting board, 2 pans/griddle, and either a rasp grater or vegetable peeler. Place 12" cast iron pan or flat griddle over high heat. Place 8-10" non stick skillet over medium heat..
- Cut sourdough into large crouton squares. 3/4-1" should do. Toss them in a bowl with salt, lots of pepper, and olive oil to coat and place them flat side down on the griddle or skillet while it is still warming up. The idea is to crisp them on the outside and keep them soft and somewhat moist on the interior so cutting them too small will over cook them. Remove them to the same bowl when they turn brown and crisp. Keep the heat on high for the romaine in a moment..
- While the Croutons crisp… Wash tomatoes. Put whole tomatoes in the heating non stick skillet drizzle with olive oil, about 2-3 tablespoons, Salt, about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, and pepper as needed. They will blister, then burst, then blacken. At this point shake the pan to coat with juices and cook the other side of the tomatoes. You can either turn off the heat at this point or continue to cook for more concentration of flavor and color on the other side. They are your tomatoes. Do with them as you please..
- Cut the romaine in half from root to top. Spread 2 teaspoons of Caesar dressing evenly over the cut half. Gently place the two halves, dressing side down, on the griddle or pan. If you are using a pan it may not completely fit. It's ok. Don't cry. Just cut off and eat the top part. Press gently to make sure maximum surface area is in contact with the iron. The idea is to quickly add color/flavor to the cut side without cooking and/or wilting the lettuce. Depending on how hot your pan is that could be 2 mins to 5 mins. Hotter the better. Smoke is ok..
- Assembly! Place lettuce halves on the plate. Drizzle with dressing. Shave or grate generous amount of parm cheese with vegetable peeler or rasp grater. Place 5 tomatoes on each plate or halve. Get fancy with your plating. Come on… You know you want to. Then place croutons on top and drizzle with more olive oil and pepper. Take a bite. Close your eyes. Make it look like you know what you're doing. Ask yourself, can I taste saltiness? Tart and sweetness from the tomatoes? Savory from the dressing? Is it too rich/savory? Then sprinkle with lemon juice. Add more of anything as needed..
Continue whisking, and slowly drizzle in more of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, cover and refrigerate. Advertisement Grilled Caesar Salad is a smokey spin to the classic recipe. Leafy sections of romaine are seared on the barbecue to create a lightly charred texture. The flavors come together with a drizzle of creamy homemade caesar dressing, croutons, and parmesan cheese.