Cornbread Casserole. Cornbread casserole makes a great side dish for holiday or potluck meals. However, you can also make it a main dish by adding protein, veggies and other mix-ins, like in this Taco Cornbread Casserole recipe. If you want to make this dish vegetarian, look for a cornbread mix that doesn't contain animal lard.
Mix wet ingredients together. ** NOTE: The consistency is supposed to be like a spoonbread, it is a casserole, not like cornbread you would cut into pieces -this is like Chi Chi's corn casserole they served on the side. Jiffy corn casserole is a beloved shortcut side dish that instantly makes any fall meal feel cozier. Oh, and did I mention it's also the easiest thing you'll make this week? You can have Cornbread Casserole using 8 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cornbread Casserole
- You need 1 Pound of Sweet Italian Sausage.
- You need 2 of Medium sized Peppers, sliced.
- Prepare 1 of Large Onion, diced.
- It’s 2 cloves of Garlic, diced.
- Prepare to taste of Ground Black Pepper.
- You need 2 Tsp of Ground Oregano.
- It’s 1 Tsp of Ground Basil.
- It’s 1 Box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix or use my own cornbread recipe.
You take a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix, combine it with a few pantry staples (canned corn, sour cream, eggs, and butter), and it bakes up somewhere between tender cornbread and a moist corn pudding. Jiffy Cornbread Casserole is a type of Southern comfort food. Commonly, it's a side dish that is prepared with a mixture of corn and cream-style corn, Jiffy corn muffin mix, sour cream, cheese, and butter. Cornbread casserole is a popular Thanksgiving side dish.
Cornbread Casserole instructions
- Put the broiler on in your oven. Cook the Italian Sausage 7 minutes on each other. When done, let it cool and slice it up into one inch pieces..
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add olive oil to the pot. Put Garlic into the pot and brown up the pieces..
- When the garlic is browned, add the onions. Cook the Onions until they are slightly translucent..
- Next, add the peppers to the pot. When the peppers are tender, add sausage to the pot. Cook everything together for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, set the Sausage & Peppers to the side to cool..
- Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees..
- Grease a 13×9 Casserole Dish, then add the Sausage & Peppers..
- Mix the Jiffy Corn Muffin according to the box. Pour the mixture over the Sausage & Peppers, then spread the mixture over the Sausage & Peppers..
- Place the Casserole Dish into the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes. Dip a toothpick into the cornbread mixture and if it comes out clean, then it is ready..
- Serve and Enjoy!.
It's wonderfully rich, buttery, and packed with corn flavor! Turkey might be the main course, but cornbread casserole is the star! The original recipe first appeared on the back of the Jiffy cornbread muffin box. HOW TO MAKE CORNBREAD CASSEROLE A typical baked corn casserole has creamed corn and sweet corn, mixed with a binder like flour, cornmeal and eggs. A creamier dish is going to include milk or sour cream; sometimes a lot of sour cream.