New York Style Pizza Sauce. In a bowl, combine the diced tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, olive oil, basil, oregano, sugar, garlic, and salt. Taste and add more salt, if needed. Bring to room temperature before using.
Homemade pizza sauce is far superior to the jarred stuff. It's fresher, far tastier, and much easier to make than you'd expect. With only eight ingredients and a no-cook prep, this classic New York-style pizza sauce is truly perfect for a quick and easy dinner kind of night. You can cook New York Style Pizza Sauce using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of New York Style Pizza Sauce
- It’s 1 of 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of olive oil, extra virgin.
- You need 1 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 2 medium of cloves garlic, about 2 teaspoons, grated.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- You need 1 pinch of red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1 of kosher salt.
- It’s 2 of sprigs fresh basil with leaves attached.
- You need 1 medium of onion, peeled and cut in half.
- It’s 1 tsp of sugar.
Making pizza sauce from scratch is the fastest way to bring your own kitchen to Italian bistro status. A classic New York slice is as much a work of pizza art as are the finest pies of Italy. This recipe recreates the flavor of the tomato sauce on New York City's pizza perfectly. The result is a slightly sweet and aromatic sauce that's flavored with oregano, basil, garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes.
New York Style Pizza Sauce step by step
- Process tomatoes and the juice in food processor until pureed, or with hand blender. Should be smooth, set aside..
- Combine butter and oil in a sauce pan over medium heat until melted. Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and large pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes..
- Add tomatoes, basil sprigs, onion halves, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to lowest setting and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 1/2, about an hour. Remove onion and basil, discard..
- Season to taste with salt. Allow to cool and store in covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks..
Transport yourself to the bustling streets of NYC with our New York-Style Pizza Sauce recipe! The city's signature massive round pizzas that are sold by the slice typically use this style of sauce, which is made with herbs, garlic and a little bit of sugar. Combine butter and oil in large skillet and heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and salt (and basil only if using dried) and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant but not browned. Add tomatoes, fresh basil (if using), onion halves, and sugar.