Orange Chicken with Brussels Sprouts. Mix the Brussels sprouts inside the baking dish and pop in the oven to bake uncovered. After I placed the chicken in the fridge, I prepped the Brussels sprouts and placed in the oven. This way everything is done at the same time.
Peel and thinly slice the shallot. Peel and small dice the orange. Stuff chicken with a few orange slices, and thyme sprigs. You can have Orange Chicken with Brussels Sprouts using 25 ingredients and 26 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Orange Chicken with Brussels Sprouts
- It’s 10-12 of boneless chicken thighs washed and cubed.
- It’s 1 tbs of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of pepper.
- You need 1 cup of corn starch.
- It’s 3 cups of flour.
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- Prepare 2 1/2 cups of water.
- Prepare 2 tbs of canola oil.
- It’s of Enough olive oil for frying.
- It’s 2 tbs of olive oil.
- You need 2 tsp of chili pepper flakes.
- It’s 4 tbs of minced garlic.
- Prepare 2 tbs of ginger…freshly minced or powder.
- It’s 1/2 cup of white sugar.
- It’s 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- You need 1/2 cup of orange juice.
- It’s 1/2 cup of distilled vinegar.
- You need 4 tbs of soy sauce.
- It’s 4 tbs of water.
- It’s 4 tbs of corn starch.
- You need 14-1/2 cup of orange juice.
- It’s of Sesame oil to drizzle.
- It’s of I bags of Brussels sprouts.
- Prepare of Olive oil for drizzling.
- You need to taste of Salt and pepper.
Arrange remaining orange slices around chicken. While chicken is roasting, combine sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, olive oil, and garlic in a large bowl. Toss carrots and brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper. Meanhwhile, remove chicken thighs from ziploc and pat skin side dry with a paper towel.
Orange Chicken with Brussels Sprouts step by step
- To prepare the chicken batter.
- Combine the salt, pepper, flour and corn starch together. Mix well..
- Mix in the egg, water and oil until it looks like a pancake batter..
- Add the cubed chicken thighs to the batter, cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes..
- Heat the frying oil inside a wok. I added about a tsp of minced garlic for flavoring..
- Cook chicken for about 6 minutes per batch or until chicken turns slightly brown. I used a fork and placed chicken and batter in a spoon, then dropped in the oil. This way the chicken is well coated and separated from the other chicken pieces..
- Move the cooked chicken onto a plate lined with a paper towel to soak the excess oil..
- Repeat until all chicken is cooked. It is ok to save some chicken in the batter for the next day. Just keep cover and refrigerated..
- Now for the sauce (heh heh heeeehhh)……
- In a sauce pan, heat 2 tbs oil..
- As soon as the oil is hot, add the pepper flakes, garlic and ginger. Stir for about 25 to 30 seconds..
- Incorporate in the white sugar and brown sugar..
- Stir in the orange juice just until the sugars are dissolved completely..
- Stir in the vinegar and soy sauce. Continue stirring for about 30 seconds..
- Whisk in the water and corn starch..
- Once the sauce becomes thick, add the remainder of the orange juice..
- Continue stirring. Sauce should still be thick..
- Add the cooked chicken and coat well..
- I personally like to serve this over brussel sprouts (yea I know yuck, right?). But believe me, they go well together and kids will love it…I did say the kids will actually eat the Brussels sprouts..
- Brussel Sprouts quick and simple recipe, takes about 45 minutes in the oven at 375 degrees..
- Wash and cut Brussels sprouts in half. Place in a baking dish. I used a glass baking dish..
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the Brussels sprouts, salt and pepper them. Not too much oil, will defeat the purpose of a healthy dish..
- Mix the Brussels sprouts inside the baking dish and pop in the oven to bake uncovered..
- After I placed the chicken in the fridge, I prepped the Brussels sprouts and placed in the oven. This way everything is done at the same time..
- Serve the orange chicken over the Brussels sprouts..
- Or you can serve the orange chicken with your preference. Enjoy :).
Also, the Brussels sprouts (and cabbage) are cooked just a bit (to improve the flavors). The result was a nicely crisp tender salad with added crunch from the almonds and sesame seeds, along with bits of chicken, juicy oranges and cilantro, with a light orange ginger Chinese dressing that adds just the right touch of oriental magic. Pile the brussels sprouts on one side of the pan and add the butter and garlic. In skillet on medium high heat add oil, minced garlic and onion. Add blanched carrots and brussels sprouts and give gentle stir to combine.