Split Pea Soup with Ham. Find What You Need At Booking. Com, The Biggest Travel Site In The World. Mix in ham, bay leaf, and split peas.
Lift out the ham, peel off and discard the skin. While it is still hot (wear a clean pair of rubber gloves), shred the meat. Remove bay from the soup and stir in the frozen peas. You can have Split Pea Soup with Ham using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Split Pea Soup with Ham
- Prepare 2 lb. of dried split peas.
- Prepare 11 1/2 of cups.
- Prepare 4 of chicken bouillon.
- You need 2 lb. of ham on bone.
- It’s 4-5 clove of garlic minced or pressed.
- It’s 2 of carrots sliced or ½ cup shredded.
- You need 2 of celery stalks leave and all medium chopped.
- It’s 1 of onion minced.
- Prepare 2 of Bay leaves.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- You need 1/2 tsp of oregano.
- You need 1 pinch of Kosher salt.
- Prepare 1 pinch of cayenne pepper.
- It’s of Fresh black pepper.
- Prepare of Chopped cooked bacon; if there isn’t any ham or additional needed.
Add the ham hock and ham and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown. Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add ham bone to the peas, along with chopped onion, bay leaf, garlic powder, marjoram, thyme, and pepper, and bring the soup to a boil. A hearty split pea soup made with a nice big ham bone which adds lots of flavour.
Split Pea Soup with Ham step by step
- Add the water bouillon cubes, seasonings (oregano, bayleef, black pepper, cayenne pepper) and hambone together. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for the next half hour..
- Start chopping onions celery garlic and carrots. Add in the peas and stir frequently. Then adding the chopped vegetables. Continue to start frequently. To prevent from sticking to the bottom of the pot..
- After about an hour and a half simmering. Carefully remove the Ham bone from the mixture. Remove any additional Ham removing the fat as well. Chop up finally and add the Ham back into the soup discarding the bone..
- Additional seasoning taste and serve..
It's so good to warm up with a bowl of this over the Christmas holidays or on a cold, blustery day. Split pea and ham soup is one of those good ole comfort soups that are extra special in the cold winter months. It is big on flavor and easy on the budget. We like it with a lot of smoky ham chunks for extra flavor. Melt butter in large pot on medium heat, then add onion, celery and carrots and cook, stirring often, until onion is softened.