Arroz con Leche (Spanish rice pudding). Literally translated, arroz con leche means rice with milk, but it's actually a thick rice pudding that everyone makes a slightly different way. Most recipes call for lemon peel and cinnamon sticks, and others add alcohol, additional spices, orange peel, and even a layer of caramelized sugar on top. Put the water, rice, and cinnamon stick in a medium-size heavy saucepan set over medium-high heat.
With only a few ingredients, this creamy Spanish rice pudding is sure to please. Serve it cold, warm, or room temperature sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon. In a small saucepan, combine the water, rice and cinnamon. You can have Arroz con Leche (Spanish rice pudding) using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Arroz con Leche (Spanish rice pudding)
- You need 1/2 cup of arroz de grano corto (short grain rice).
- You need 1 1/2 cup of agua (water).
- You need 1 of cascara de limon (lemon peel).
- Prepare 1 of rama de canela (cinnamon stick).
- You need 1 liter of leche (milk).
- You need 1 cup of azucar blanca (sugar).
- You need 1/4 tsp of sal (salt).
- It’s 1 of canela en polvo (powder cinnamon).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of vainilla (vanilla) -OPTIONAL.
The Spanish then came to Peru, bringing along rice, cows and sugar, and voilá: the foundations for Peruvians' love affair for arroz con leche were laid. Peru boasts an incredible variety of ecosystems, several of which are perfect for rice cultivation. – Spanish Rice Pudding – Everybody loves a good rice pudding, and everyone has a different version of the perfect rice pudding. It really is a simple dessert of just rice, milk, sugar and some spices, such as vanilla, cinnamon and lemon. Arroz con leche (literally, 'rice with milk') is a popular dessert in Panama, with roots in the country's Spanish heritage.
Arroz con Leche (Spanish rice pudding) instructions
- Place the rice, water, cinnamon stick and lemon peel in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat until rice is cooked..
- Then add the milk, salt and sugar. Stir often to keep from sticking to the bottpm of the pot..
- Cook until you get a creamier texture. When finished remove from pan and sprinkle the top with powder cinnamon..
- Variations: You can use sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk instead of regular milk, or u can mix them up, depending on the texture you wish to achieve..
However, this dish is found the world over, with regional varieties found throughout Asia, England, Nordic countries, the Middle East, and Central and South America. Arroz con Leche Salado or Arroz con Leche Amargo (it's not bitter, "amargo" also means unsweetened in Spanish) is a version of this dish traditionally served as dinner, sometimes prepared with leftover arroz blanco (white rice). Being Cuban myself, I prefer this version of this delicious dessert to any other. Before serving, sprinkle with cinnamon or garnish with a cinnamon stick, for flair." Easy Rice Pudding With A Hint of Citrus Arroz con Leche is one of the world's favorite desserts. Citrus essences of orange and lemon are the hallmarks of this Spanish version and add to the vibrancy of cinnamon and vanilla.