🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh). Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Huge Selection on Second Hand Books.
Probably the most famous vegetable recipe in Indonesian cuisine: sambal goreng buncis. This is a dish made of green beans sautéed in a spicy coconut sauce. Green beans simmer in a broth made out of garlic, onions, galangal, coconut and lemon grass. You can have 🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh) using 33 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of 🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh)
- It’s of A) INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET FRIED TEMPEH (can also be eaten separately with salads as a protein topping).
- Prepare of For 2 -3 servings.
- Prepare of □ 1 packet of tempeh (200g), cut into size of Lego bricks approx 1.25"x 0.5".
- Prepare of □ ¼ tsp of turmeric powder.
- Prepare of □ ½ tsp of coriander powder.
- Prepare of □ ¾ tbsp of palm sugar or grated Gula Melaka.
- Prepare of □ 1 calamansi lime.
- It’s of □ Salt.
- It’s of □ Olive oil spray.
- You need of □ 2½ tbsp of virgin olive oil.
- It’s of B) INGREDIENTS FOR SPICE PASTE OR 'THE REMPAH'.
- It’s of □ 3/4 cup of shallots, halved (about 8 -12 pcs).
- You need of □ 4 -5 cloves of garlic, approx 2 tbsp.
- You need of □ One finger of turmeric, 1.25" x 0.5” x 0.5”.
- Prepare of □ 2 tbsp of galangal or two slices 2” x 1”.
- It’s of □ 2 stalks of lemongrass, the white part only, roughly chopped, approx. 3 tbsp.
- Prepare of □ 2 slices of ginger, 1.5"x 1".
- It’s of □ 1/4 tsp of limes zest.
- It’s of □ 3 kaffir lime leaves (optional).
- Prepare C. of INGREDIENTS TO COOK SAMBAL GORENG.
- You need of □ Rempah or Spice Paste (From B).
- It’s of □ 2½ cups of long beans, 1.5" pieces, cut at an angle.
- Prepare of □ 150g or about 2 cups of white button mushroom, quartered.
- You need of □ 2 red chilies, sliced bias cut and deseeded with a teaspoon.
- It’s of □ 1/3 cup of Sambal Tumis (from previous recipe).
- It’s of □ 1/2 cup of coconut milk + extra.
- You need of □ 1 cup tamarind juice made from loosening 1 tbsp of tamarind pulp in water and strained.
- You need of □ Juice of 2 calamansi limes, remove any seeds.
- It’s of □ ½ tbsp of palm sugar or Gula Melaka + some extra to taste.
- You need of □ Pan-fried sweet tempeh (From A).
- It’s of □ 1/3 cup of baked unsalted cashews.
- Prepare of □ Salt.
- You need of □ Oil.
I add petai beans today too. That is not an ingredient in the original recipe, but I love petai beans and they go well with green beans. Spicy Sambal Goreng: Creating Flavors of Lembeh at Home. Spice in Indonesian and Manadonese Cuisine.
🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh) instructions
- A. FRY UP TEMPEH 1. Bring a non-stick pan to medium – medium high heat. Add a light coat of oil and fry tempeh cubes with a fine dusting of salt until slightly charred or when 80 -85% of white in tempeh is no longer visible (about 10 to 15 mins) Note: Spray in more oil when it gets too dry and use a pair of tongs or chopsticks to regularly turn tempeh over to ensure even charring..
- 2. Set timer to 12 mins and cover with coriander, turmeric and another fine dusting of salt. Fry for 3 to 4 mins turning tempeh over for even coating. 3. Now add palm sugar on top. Note: if using moist or sticky palm sugar, separate clumps with fingers first and sprinkle evenly over tempeh in pan..
- 4. Squeeze in juice of lime. Toss and stir rapidly to distribute and coat sugar evenly across tempeh blocks. Fry for another 3 to 5 mins until almost all of the white is gone and the sugar has caramelized into dark glittery caramelized spots. A crisp charred ‘standalone’ tempeh is ready to be eaten as a snack, kept in fridge as protein for salads or made into Sambal Goreng as with this recipe..
- B. MAKE SPICE PASTE OR REMPAH 1. Blend all ingredients until a smooth paste. Add small amounts of water to ease the process. Reminder: Hardy root vegetables/ rhizomes like galangal should be cut into small pieces first before blending, so there are no long fibrous strands when eating..
- C. COOK SAMBAL GORENG 1. Bring a wok to medium high heat and add 3.5 tbsp of oil. 2. Fry spice paste until fragrant and cooked through, 5 to 12 mins. Normally we wait for the oil to break and float, but here (because of the healthier use of less oil) it’s enough when the spice paste turns clumpy, dry, aromatic and just before it burns to proceed with the next step..
- 3. Drop in the long beans, mushrooms and sliced chilies, spray in a small amount of oil and stir-fry with a ½ tsp of salt for 2 to 5 mins until sliced chilies slightly soften. 4. Then add the Sambal Tumis, coat well and fry for 2 to 3 mins until fragrant. 5. Now add tamarind water, lime juice, coconut milk and palm sugar. Cook on medium heat for 6 to 7 mins to allow veggies time to soften and cook through..
- 6. Add fried tempeh back into the mix with cashews, stir and reduce to a bubbling simmer for 5 mins. Slowly add salt to taste. 7. Cook until almost all the liquid evaporates or when a thick creamy gravy emerges coating the veggies. Adjust for taste further with 1 tbsp of coconut milk each time or some palm sugar to sweeten. 8.(Optional) Garnish with sliced red chilies before serving..
Indonesia is well known for its spicy cuisine and the people of North Sulawesi boast some of the liveliest dishes across the archipelago. That doesn't mean that every dish is packed with fiery flavors though, in fact, quite the opposite. Drain, heat in a wok the oil and fry the tempeh golden brown. Flavor profile: Sweet and fragrant, with a relish-y texture Good with: Eggs, spooned over fried wings, eggplant, or tossed with cooked vegetables. Sambal belacan or sambal terasi is one of the most popular Indonesian sambal that you can find in almost everywhere.