Vickys Scottish Beef Stew & Suet Doughballs GF DF EF SF NF. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Vickys Scottish Beef Stew & Suet Doughballs GF DF EF SF NF [email protected] Free-From Cookbook Scotland.
That wonderful tune we (probably slightly drunkenly) sing to say farewell to the previous year as we bring in the new year. Fall apart beef cooked in the oven or the slow cooker – this Scottish beef stew is my favourite Scottish recipe and perfect recipe for Burns night – or any o. This traditional Scottish beef stew is the epitome of comfort food: it's the perfect blend of rich aromas, flavor, and it satisfies the soul. You can have Vickys Scottish Beef Stew & Suet Doughballs GF DF EF SF NF using 20 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vickys Scottish Beef Stew & Suet Doughballs GF DF EF SF NF
- You need 500 grams of lean braising steak, diced.
- You need 2 of onions, diced or sliced.
- You need 2 of carrots, diced or sliced.
- You need 2 of large handfuls of peas.
- It’s 500 ml of beef stock.
- It’s 1 clove of chopped garlic.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of tomato puree/paste.
- You need 1 tbsp of worcestershire sauce, see below for a gluten-free recipe.
- You need 2 tbsp of fresh parsley, finely chopped.
- You need 1/4 tsp of thyme leaves.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of cornflour/cornstarch mixed with a little cold water.
- It’s of salt & pepper.
- It’s 2 stick of chopped celery (optional).
- You need 1 of diced green sweet pepper (optional).
- You need of Doughballs/Dumplings.
- Prepare 100 grams of self raising gf flour.
- You need 50 grams of shredded suet.
- It’s 1 pinch of each salt & pepper.
- It’s 5 tbsp of or enough water to combine.
Plus, the family carnivores will appreciate its meat-and-potatoes appeal, while the rest of y'all will appreciate the subtle flavors of the whole stew. Spread the flour in a shallow bowl. Season the beef with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour; shake. In a large casserole dish, heat a tablespoon of the olive oil until shimmering.
Vickys Scottish Beef Stew & Suet Doughballs GF DF EF SF NF step by step
- Put all the casserole ingredients apart from the cornflour in a large ovenproof dish with a lid and combine well. Let it sit for a few hours to soften and marinate the meat.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4 / 180C / 350°F.
- Put the dish in the oven. Total cooking time is 1 hr 45 minutes but you need to take the dish out and add the doughballs after an hour and 25 minutes.
- To make the doughballs, combine the dry ingredients and add just enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Split the dough into 8 and form into balls with floured hands. They'll expand in the oven.
- Take the casserole from the oven after 1 hr and 25 minutes. Place the doughballs on top of it and replace the lid. Put back in the oven for the remaining 20 minutes. If you like them crispy on top leave the lid off.
- When done, remove the bay leaf and thicken the gravy by stirring in the cornflour & water mixture. Serve with mashed potato. The doughballs should be fluffy and suck up the gravy from the stew.
- You can flavour the doughballs with rosemary, parsley or thyme if you like. My grannie made the best doughballs, we would fight over them lol.
Spread the flour in a shallow bowl. Season the beef with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour; shake off any excess. Add half of the meat to the casserole and cook over a moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about three minutes. Beef stew is the ultimate comfort food. With switched-up ingredients and creative twists, these variations elevate the classic from familiar to fabulous. iStock Photo.