Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce. Sweet & Sour, Nacho Cheese, Burger Sauce, Baconnaise & Many More. Read Customer Reviews & Find Best Sellers. Carolina-style barbeque sauces are known for their peppery, vinegary kick; the fresh apple in this sauce brings a unique twist to a classic style.. the birthplace of mustard-based BBQ sauce.
Use this sauce both on the traditional Carolina pulled pork and on grilled chicken. The tanginess from the mustard and vinegar and a hint of liquid smoke complement grilled meat beautifully. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. You can cook Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce using 16 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce
- You need 3 Tbs. of olive oil.
- You need 1/2 of yellow onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of jalapeno peppers, finely chopped.
- You need 2-3 cloves of garlic, smashed.
- It’s 1.5 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- It’s 1 bottle (32 oz.) of ketchup.
- It’s 1 cup of BBQ sauce, store brand.
- You need 6 Tbs. of dark mustard.
- It’s 2 Tbs. of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of lime juice.
- It’s 1 can (8 oz.) of pineapple bits.
- It’s 1/2 cup of molasses.
- You need Dash of paprika & thyme.
- It’s Dash of salt & pepper.
- Prepare Dash of red pepper flakes.
North Carolina BBQ sauce is a southern-style barbeque sauce. While most BBQ sauces are ketchup and molasses based, Carolina sauce is made with a base of vinegar and mustard. What does Carolina BBQ sauce taste like? Carolina barbeque sauce is thick and tangy with a very subtle sweetness.
Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce step by step
- Add oil to a heated 3 quart pot over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and sauté them for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and mix..
- Add all the liquid ingredients (but not the fruit & molasses) to the pot and simmer for 30 minutes over medium-low heat..
- Add the fruit pieces and very lightly blend the sauce using an immersion blender (or a blender in batches). Add the molasses and simmer this for 45 minutes on low-medium heat..
- While simmering, season with spices to taste as the sauce slowly thickens. Place in a large container when done. Refrigerate to further the thickening process before using..
Dump everything into a medium saucepan set to low heat. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce is vinegar and mustard based. It's roots come from South Carolina and has trickled into the homes of some North Carolinians. Unlike North Carolina bbq sauce, which is vinegar based with ketchup, brown sugar or molasses; the Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce is based with mustard, vinegar sugar and/or honey, and spices.