Kenns' Apple crisp. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Order Today From The Health Food Specialists.
Here is how you do that. Kenns' Apple crisp step by step. MAKE AHEAD: Crumbles: Sift together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, pie spice. You can cook Kenns' Apple crisp using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Kenns' Apple crisp
- Prepare 1 1/2 C of Flour, all-purpose.
- It’s 1 1/2 C of brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 tsp of apple pie or pumpkin pie spuce.
- You need 2 C of old fashioned oats, dry.
- You need 3 sticks of butter, salted.
- It’s 3 T of orange juice/reserved liquid.
- You need 1 T of granulated sugar.
- You need 1 1/2 T of cornstarch.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 1/2 of # apples/fruit, peeled,cored, diced.
- You need of This '3 stick' recipe yields crumbs to make 5 crisps.
- Prepare 1/2 C of Dried fruit (opt).
- It’s 1/4 C of shivered almonds (opt).
- Prepare of Apples: 3 lg honeycrisp or fuji work best. No red delicious.
Add butter cubes to flour mixture, one stick at a time. Mix crumbs with two knives until incorporated. Here is how you do that. To make apple crisp without oats, we'll use the topping from apple crumble pie, only slightly increased.
Kenns' Apple crisp step by step
- MAKE AHEAD: Crumbles: Sift together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, pie spice. Mix in dry oats. Cut butter sticks into 4 long sticks, then cut each stick into pea-size cubes..
- Add butter cubes to flour mixture, one stick at a time. Mix crumbs with two knives until incorporated. Place crumbs in zip-loc bag and refrigerate until using. (5 batches).
- PREPARE CRISP: If using dried fruit, plump in microwave and allow to cool before going ahead. Plce dried fruit in a small bowl with enough orange juice to cover and microwave for 30-45 seconds until hot. Cool and reserve liquid. Use the liquid to mix with the cornstarch before adding fresh fruits. Add plumped dried fruits last before topping with crumbs..
- Preheat oven to 425° (395° convection ocen) Grease (with butter or Pam) a 9" pie pan or round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix cool juice/ cornstarch, sugar and cinnamon until smooth. Peel, core and cube fresh fruit, placing in juice/ cornstarch mixture and tossing to coat..
- Place prepared fruit in pan in a single layer. Top with crumbs (and nuts if using). Do not pack. Sprinkle with white sugar (to caramelize and get crunchy). Bake for 30 minutes until browned and crispy..
- If using nuts, put 1/2 the crumbs on top of the fruit, add nuts and then the rest of crumbs. Nuts brown faster than crumbs..
- Fruit suggestions: pineapple/apple: approx 2C pineapple and 1 apple. peach/apple: 2 peaches and 1 apple. Apple/craisin: 3 apples, 1/2C dried cranberries plumped. Apple/blueberry: 1/2 pint blueberries and 2 apples. Apple/cherry: 1 1/2C pitted, halved cherries and one apple. Pear/peach: 1 can each, rinsed chopped peaches and pears..
Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour together. Thinly slice the apple through the core – use a mandolin, if you have one, to get thin slices. Finally, apple crisp like MY grandma made! No oatmeal, nuts, or fancy things.just simple pantry staples and fresh, homemade taste. 🙂 This is wonderful, easy, and quickly made. You can pop this in the oven while you eat dinner, and by the time you finish dinner and clear the dishes, it's ready.