Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken. IN CROCKPOT: Move chicken to crockpot. Mix all other ingredients and pour over chicken. Put in the bottom of a slow cooker.
This Crock Pot General Tso's Chicken is sticky and sweet with just the right amount of heat. It's every bit as good as take out, with a fraction of the fat, sugar, and salt. In the slow cooker, combine the sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and cayenne. You can cook Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken
- It’s 1 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves minced.
- It’s 1 tsp of fresh ginger minced.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.
- You need 2 tbsp of ketchup.
- You need 3 tbsp of hoisin sauce.
- It’s 3 tbsp of brown sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of teriaki glaze.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 3/4 cup of corn starch.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- It’s 1 tsp of sesame oil.
- You need of Sesame seeds and green onion for garnish.
In the Crock Pot, whisk sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and cayenne until well combined. Stir it in SLOWLY, folding it into the chicken. Making Incredible Slow Cooker General Tso Chicken. Start by adding a simple breading to the outside, then pan fry the edges for just a few minutes.
Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken step by step
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and toss in corn starch and black pepper. I use a large ziplock bag..
- Brown in skillit for a few minutes..
- IN CROCKPOT: Move chicken to crockpot. Mix all other ingredients and pour over chicken. Let cook on low 3-4 hours on high 2-3 hours..
- When there is a half hour left of cooking, mix 2 tbsp of corn starch and 3 tbsp of water and add to crockpot to thicken sauce..
- STOVETOP: finish cooking the chicken in the skillet while you mix all other ingredients(omit the corn starch and water)in a pot and bring it to a boil. Add the sauce in the skillit when the chicken is done. simmer untill sauce is thick..
- Sprinkle with green onion and sesame seeds for garnish and serve over rice, or with a side of steamed broccoli..
This is an extra step, but you will love the crispy edges. The chicken has a tender and juicy center by doing this extra step. Traditional General Tso's chicken requires stir-frying the coated chicken in hot oil before coating it in the sauce, creating a golden, thin crust. Taking a cue from that tradition, slow cooker General Tso's is coated in cornstarch and cooked to golden crispness in a skillet before slow cooking. Add the chicken to the slow cooker.