Beef Stroganoff. This recipe uses a roux to create a beef gravy that is then thickened with sour cream AND cream cheese. A little bit of zip is added using pepper flakes. With its tender chunks of beef coated in a luscious creamy sauce and served over a bed of buttery noodles, it's no wonder Beef Stroganoff is such a hit.
With switched-up ingredients and creative twists, these popular variations elevate the classic dish from familiar to fabulous. Season the steak strips with House Seasoning, then dust with flour. In a large skillet, quickly brown them on both sides in the olive oil and butter. You can cook Beef Stroganoff using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Beef Stroganoff
- Prepare 1/2-3/4 lb of sirloin steak (cut into bite size cubes).
- It’s 3 Tablespoons of flour.
- Prepare 3 Tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter).
- It’s 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- It’s 1 clove of garlic, chopped (or 4).
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of paprika.
- Prepare 5 of dried mushrooms, sliced/ripped into bite size pieces.
- It’s 1/3 cup of dry red "grape juice".
- Prepare 1 packet of Knorr Vegetable Recipe Mix.
- It’s 4 oz of cream cheese (or neufchatel).
- You need 2 of servings rotini pasta – (salt for water).
Remove the steak from the pan. Add the onion slices and mushrooms to the pan drippings. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
Beef Stroganoff instructions
- At home: Prep and gather all ingredients into separate baggies, combining onion/garlic, spices, etc..
- At camp: Boil water in JetBoil (or other camp-stove pot) – add salt and pasta – boil till done (a little al dente is preferred).
- Cut beef into bite-sized cubes and add to baggie with flour, shake to coat.
- Strain water into cup/lid and add dried mushrooms and vegetable mix to reconstitute – put pasta aside to keep warm.
- In JetBoil frying pan (or other campstove pan) Sauté onions/garlic/beef in ghee till uniformly brown.
- Stir in pepper/paprika/"grape juice" and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable/mushrooms and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Pull from heat and slice in cream cheese and stir to mix well.
- Serve over pasta – makes two generous servings.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips quickly, then push the beef strips off to one side. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stroganoff sauce is a sour cream gravy made with beef broth that's thickened with flour. It's flavoured with mustard and has mushrooms in it.