Split Pea Soup. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat olive oil.
Pour in the hot stock and the split peas. Add split peas, chicken stock, thyme, bay leaves, and seared ham hock to the pot and bring to a boil. Then pour in the stock and add the washed split peas. You can have Split Pea Soup using 6 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Split Pea Soup
- It’s 1 of leftover frozen ham bone (any size).
- You need 20 oz of bag dry green split peas.
- You need 12 cup of water.
- It’s 14 1/2 oz of can sliced carrots (drained).
- You need 15 oz of can new potatoes (drained).
- It’s 1 of salt n pepper to taste.
Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Split pea soup can be kept refrigerated for about a week, or frozen for up to three months. To freeze, cool the soup completely, then transfer to freezer containers or bags. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, or gently warm the frozen soup in a saucepan over low heat on the stove top.
Split Pea Soup step by step
- Place water in a large pot..
- Place frozen ham bone in pot of water..
- Turn heat on high and boil covered for 2 hours..
- Remove from heat. And remove ham bone from water. Keeping water in pot..
- Let ham bone cool until its handleable.. pick all meat and bone marrow off bone and place in pot of water..
- Chop carrots and potatoes into small cubes..
- Clean peas by picking out bad peas, stones, sticks etc. Then rinse under cool water..
- Bring water back to a boil on high heat. Add peas, carrots, potatoes, salt and pepper..
- Bring to a boil again..
- Lower heat to medium/ medium low and simmer uncovered..
- Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stirring often and frequent making sure your scraping the bottom..
- Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes..
- Give a quick stir and serve hot!.
- To have a smooth creamy soup.. place soup in blender and puree until smooth..
- You can also serve this soup chilled..
Looking for More Easy Soup Recipes? Place bacon in a large pot and cook over medium heat until crisp. Stir in split peas, bay leaves and rosemary. Tasty and filling, dal makes a cheap, healthy and satisfying meal. Split Pea Soup Ingredients: Olive oil – this is used to saute the vegetables, butter can be substituted.