Toor Dal or Yellow Split Pea Soup. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Looking For Pea Soup Anderson? We Have Almost Everything on eBay. Toor Dal (Split Yellow Pigeon Peas Soup/Stew) This recipe is a very traditional and common dal (lentil stew) that most many North Indian households will make with their meals.
Toor Dal or Yellow Split Pea Soup Maulin Agrawal. This is my take on an Indian dal recipe which my grandmother used. It goes well with rice or chapattis. #mycookbook. You can have Toor Dal or Yellow Split Pea Soup using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Toor Dal or Yellow Split Pea Soup
- Prepare 1.5 cups of toor dal or yellow pigeon peas.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- It’s of To season the dal.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida or hing.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cumin powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of coriander powder.
- It’s 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ginger paste.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of garlic paste.
- It’s 1/2 of Serrano pepper, sliced thinly.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of small tomatoes, finely chopped, the riper the better.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of ghee.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let's go back to toor dal or yellow split pea soup recipe. Here is how you achieve it. Description: Toor Dal looks like yellow split lentils. It is the tastiest of all the lentils and the most popular dal throughout India.
Toor Dal or Yellow Split Pea Soup instructions
- Wash toor dal and soak for at least 4 hours.
- Put soaked toor dal, the 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder, and salt into a pressure cooker. Cook for 30-40 minutes on medium heat..
- Whisk the dal till smooth, and keep it aside..
- In a pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add hing and cumin seeds..
- Add ginger, garlic, and sliced peppers..
- When ginger and garlic turn golden, add onions and cover the pan for 2-3 minutes or until onions soften..
- Add tomatoes, cover till they’ve become slightly mushy, then mix in the three powdered spices and a pinch of salt..
- Pour in the dal, and mix well. Simmer for 10-12 minutes..
- Turn off the heat, and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve with rice or chapattis..
This dish is a specialty of West India, where it is eaten. Wash the Matar Dal (Yellow Split pea) thoroughly until the bubbles go away. Drain the water of the dal and transfer into the pressure cooker. Put the flame in high and cook till first whistle. Yellow Split pea, also known as the Field Pea, Soup Pea, dry pea or Matar Dal, belongs to the species Pisum sativum, together with the fresh garden peas, Sno-Pea and Sugar Snap Pea.