French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan.
Remove the lid, sprinkle in the sugar and. Thaw the winter chill with these warming French onion soup recipes. See our healthy and vegetarian options, full of rich caramelised onions. You can cook French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup
- It’s of large and sweet onions.
- It’s of extra virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons).
- It’s of butter.
- You need of garlic.
- You need of Liters of meat broth.
- It’s of baguette bread.
- Prepare of wheat flour.
- It’s of sugar.
- You need of Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste).
- You need of brandy or cognac.
- It’s of soft grated cheese (Gruyère type).
Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home. Now place the bread slices on top of the oil, then turn over each one so that both sides have been lightly coated with the oil. Although onion soups date back to Roman times, this particular soup began life in eighteenth century Paris as a beef broth with caramelised onions on top. Now served without the beef, the quality of the onions is crucial.
French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup instructions
- In this Onion French Soup we must use sweet onions, we will find them in any market. If another type of onion is used but the flavor will no longer be equally soft and sweet.
- Peel the sweet onions and cut them into julienne (lengthwise and thinly sliced). we put them in a bowl..
- We choose a large casserole, heat the oil in the bottom of the casserole. We add butter, which is the true basis of this French soup..
- When it has melted and mixed with the olive oil, add the onions and finely chopped garlic.
- If we have not used sweet onions, add a spoonful of sugar. Sprinkle the flour in the pan and stir gently to mix well. The effect of the flour with the onion and especially the butter is called Roux, it will help us to bind and thicken the soup..
- Add the brandy and let 2 minutes evaporate to the alcohol..
- We introduce the broth that could be meat, vegetables or chicken. Bring all these ingredients to a boil for 15-20 minutes over a very low heat. Cut the bread into thin slices and toast them lightl.
- Onion French Soup, is a liquid soup but it can be transformed into creamy. It adds a little starch that gives a texture between soup and cream. A recipe worthy of both a first course and a main one in a simple and special dinner for cold nights.
You want both high acidity and high sugar levels to create a fully-flavoured soup. The best onions are Rose de Roscoff. Spanish onions, although lacking in acidity, will also. Add the flour and stir to coat the onions. Melt the butter and oil together in a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat.