Kentucky Hot Brown. Whisk together the eggs, milk and salt in a medium bowl. Cover the toast with mushrooms and thinly sliced tomatoes, then cover with a liberal amount of turkey. For each Hot Brown, place two slices of toast onto a heatproof plate or dish.
Crisp bacon strips and tomato added the final flourish. The Hot Brown—a Louisville tradition with worldwide appeal—has been featured in Southern Living, The Los Angeles Times, NBC's Today Show, ABC News with Diane Sawyer, Travel Channel's Man v. Food, and The Wall Street Journal, and is a regular entry in many of the world's finest cookbooks. You can cook Kentucky Hot Brown using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Kentucky Hot Brown
- You need 1 lb of deli ham sliced thin.
- It’s 1 lb of deli turkey sliced thin.
- You need 8 slice of tomato.
- Prepare 8 slice of bacon cooked to almost crisp or to almost desired doneness.
- You need 4 of large slices bread, I use sourdough.
- You need 1 of Recipe cheese sauce, recipe follows.
- It’s 1 bag of potato chips, I use kettle chips because they hold up to the sauce.
Schmidt, a chef for Louisville's Brown Hotel, initially made the dish for patrons to enjoy after an evening of dinner and dancing. The open-face sandwich starts with a slice of toast. Turn the Louisville Kentucky Brown sandwich into a casserole for an delicious weeknight meal. Turkey, cheddar, Swiss, bread and milk.
Kentucky Hot Brown instructions
- Cook bacon to just shy of crisp or desired doneness..
- For cheese sauce, cook 3 tablespoons AP flour and 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan for a minute or 2. Whisk in 3 cups of milk and 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and a dash of nutmeg. I use white pepper because I don't like the looks of black pepper in cheese sauce. Cook on medium high til it boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese til smooth..
- Assemble open faced sandwiches. On a sheet pan place 4 large slices of bread, I use sourdough. On that pile turkey and ham and top with 2 slices of tomato on each. Drizzle some cheese sauce over each sandwich and top each with 2 pieces of bacon..
- Preheat oven to 450°F or use broiler. Place sandwiches in oven til hot and bubbly. Place each on a plate and surround with chips. Drizzle more cheese sauce over everything and enjoy..
Broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Top with bacon, tomatoes and parsley before serving. The Kentucky hot brown is an open-faced sandwich that is the ultimate comfort food. There is a creamy sauce, crispy bacon, and underneath that is a foundation of soft and pillowy bread. This sandwich was invented by the owner of The Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky.