Tamarind rice. Book at Tamarind Great House, Oracabessa. Get a Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders. Make sure the rice is not overcooked.
You can even have tamarind rice plain. Since tamarind has a longer shelf life, tamarind rice also goes well for picnics or long journeys. It also make for nice tiffin box lunch. You can cook Tamarind rice using 22 ingredients and 20 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Tamarind rice
- You need of To dry roast and grind into powder:.
- You need of Chana dal.
- It’s of Urad dal.
- It’s of Mustard seeds.
- Prepare of Cumin seeds.
- It’s of Black peppercorns.
- It’s of Fennel seeds.
- It’s of Curry leaves.
- You need of Dried red chilies.
- It’s of For tamarind water:.
- Prepare of Tamarind paste.
- You need of Water (Boiling hot).
- It’s of For tamarind rice recipe:.
- It’s of Cooked rice.
- You need of Oil.
- You need of Mustard seeds.
- Prepare of Dried red chilies.
- It’s of Curry leaves.
- It’s of Peanuts.
- It’s of Turmeric powder.
- You need of Salt.
- You need of Jaggery (Gur).
How to make puliyodharai or tamarind rice. Then add the rice in a pressure cooker. Also add ¼ to ⅓ teaspoon salt or add as required. Tamarind rice recipe – One of the best, delicious South Indian rice preparations.
Tamarind rice step by step
- Preparation First, cook the rice and let it cool..
- Dry roast the sesame seeds on medium heat till it get light brown They will start to pop and you will get nice aroma of toasted seeds..
- Remove it to the plate and let it cool completely..
- Once cooled grind it coarsely and keep it aside..
- Making tamarind water: If using tamarind paste then dissolve it into 1 cup of hot water..
- Or if using tamarind then keep the tamarind in hot water for 15-20 minutes.
- Then squeeze out all the pulp. If needed strain the pulp to remove the strings and seeds..
- Making fresh spice powder: Take all the spices into a pan and turn the heat on medium..
- Dry roast them with stirring constantly till they get light brown colour..
- Remove it to another plate and let it cool completely..
- Making tamarind rice recipe: Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat..
- Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop..
- Then add dry red chilli and curry leaves. Saute for a minute…
- Add peanuts. and roast it till it gets light brown..
- Then add tamarind water..
- Add freshly ground spice powder, turmeric powder, jaggery and salt. Mix and let it simmer..
- Cook till it thicken and become a paste like consistency..
- Then add cooked rice. Mix gently till all the masala paste it coated to the rice evenly..
- Cook for 2 minutes and turn off the stove..
- Lastly garnish with sesame powder..
I have dry roasted the spices and ground to make fresh masala powder and used in making this rice. Freshly ground masala gives nice flavor to the dish. In other languages, it is known as Pulihora, Puliyodharai or Puliyogare. The term puli means something sour. Make sure the rice is not overcooked.