Brad's duck gumbo. Add the tomatoes, garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper, bay leaves, and gumbo base mix. Cook on High until the mixture boils. Reduce heat, and stir in the duck meat, okra, shrimp, and sausage.
Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Remove duck legs from skillet, leaving rendered duck fat in the skillet. Place the duck legs on a baking sheet and season on both sides with the salt and pepper. You can cook Brad's duck gumbo using 23 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Brad's duck gumbo
- It’s 1 of boneless skinless breasts from 6 ducks.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of butter.
- You need 1/2 cup of flour.
- It’s 1 small of onion chopped.
- It’s 2 cup of water.
- You need 3/4 cup of good port wine.
- Prepare 28 oz of can stewed tomatoes.
- You need 14 oz of can tomato sauce.
- Prepare 14 oz of can sliced okra.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of smoked paprika.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of + cajun seasoning.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of Italian seasoning.
- Prepare 1 tsp of crushed red pepper.
- Prepare 4 of bay leaf.
- It’s 4 clove of garlic, minced.
- It’s 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
- Prepare 1 of keilbasa loop sausage, sliced 1/2" thick.
- Prepare 1 small of can of diced green chiles.
- It’s 1 tbsp of franks red hot.
- You need 1 tbsp of gumbo file.
- It’s 1/4 cup of flat leaf parsley.
- Prepare 1 of cooked rice.
While the duck roasts, make a dark roux with the flour and oil. Prejean's restaurant in Lafayette, Louisiana, dishes up this rich gumbo chock full of smoked duck and andouille sausage. There, it's more often than not eaten with a dollop of potato salad stirred. Season the duck with the Creole seasoning.
Brad's duck gumbo step by step
- melt butter in a lg heavy dutch oven. add onions and saute until just tender..
- meanwhile place cleaned duck breasts on a broiler pan. season with cajun spice and broil for 7 – 10 minutes depending on how thick they are. broil to rare and set aside.
- add flour to onions and make a roux. this will be thick almost doughy. fry until flour starts getting tan in color the mix should smell nutty.
- slowly add water and port wine in small amounts. stir constantly. if liquid is added too fast, flour will almost turn into dumplings..
- add tomatoes and tomato sauce, vinegar, garlic and all seasonings except gumbo file..
- let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- slice duck into thin slices.
- add sausage, duck, hot sauce, gumbo file and green chiles. simmer 5 more minutes.
- serve over hot cooked rice. garnish with parsley. i like mine spicy so i add extra.hot sauce.
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat. Transfer to a platter and set aside. This Shrimp and Duck Gumbo is loaded with a flavorful combination of meat, seafood and sausage and is thickened with a dark roux. Served over rice it makes for an unbeatable savory combination. Heat the duck fat (do not allow it to get so hot that it begins to smoke) in a large, heavy pot over medium heat.