Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce. Add the redcurrant or cranberry sauce to the red cabbage and check the seasoning. Make gravy with the meat juices if you wish. Stir in the cream to the bread sauce, transfer to a bowl and add a knob of butter.
Place duck breast-side down in a roasting pan with a lid and cover. Finely dice the shallots and finely shred the cabbage. Pan fry the shallots in a splash of oil until translucent, then add the cabbage and cook for a few more minutes. You can have Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce using 25 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce
- Prepare 1 (2 kg) of whole duck.
- You need 1/2 of nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 of orange.
- It’s of dried sage.
- You need of olive oil.
- It’s of salt, white and black pepper.
- It’s of leftover mashed potato (optional).
- It’s 1 of red cabbage, stem removed and sliced.
- Prepare 1 of large red onion, peeled and sliced.
- It’s 3 of apples, peeled and roughly chopped.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced.
- It’s 1/4 of nutmeg, grated.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cloves.
- You need 2-3 tbsp of soft brown sugar.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of wine vinegar.
- You need 2 tbsp of redcurrant or cranberry sauce.
- It’s 600 ml of whole milk.
- It’s 50 g of butter.
- Prepare 1 of onion, peeled and cut in half.
- Prepare 6 of cloves.
- It’s 1 of bayleaf.
- It’s 100 g of white breadcrumbs.
- You need 2 tbsp of double cream (optional).
- It’s of salt and white and black pepper.
Add the spices and stock, and. Add the stock and boil down slightly. Stir in the cold chopped butter and then the Cointreau. Slice the duck breasts and serve with red cabbage and sauce on serving plates.
Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce instructions
- The duck and the cabbage take about the same amount of time, and after the first 20 minutes can cook in the same oven. They can also sit a while after being cooked, giving you time to make any accompanying vegetables (like duck-fat roasted potatoes and parsnips) and the bread sauce. So get organised before you begin cooking and prep in advance. Grate the orange zest and nutmeg and mix with a couple of teaspoons of dried sage. Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7..
- I had some leftover mashed potato from the day before, and a classic stuffing for roast duck is potato-based, so I thought I'd try it out, but it's completely optional. I mixed it with some dried sage and white pepper and pushed it into the duck's cavity, together with a peeled onion (also optional)..
- Rub a little olive oil over the duck and then sprinkle the nutmeg, orange and sage mixture over the top. Add lots of black pepper and salt. Place in the preheated oven..
- Now put together the braised cabbage, if you're going to be around you can cook it on the stove top, or cook with the duck once the oven has been turned down. Prepare the cabbage, onion, apples and garlic, and in a small bowl mix together the nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and brown sugar, together with some salt..
- Layer a third of the cabbage in the pan or casserole, add a third of the onions, apple, garlic and sugar and spice mixture..
- Repeat the layers until everything is used up, then pour in the wine vinegar (red or white). Dot the top with butter and cover with a tight fitting lid..
- After 20 minutes in the oven at the high heat the duck will need to have some of the fat drained off into a heatproof bowl. Keep this for roast potatoes. Return the duck to the oven and cook on for another 10 minutes, then drain off the fat again if necessary. You can then add a glass of dry vermouth or white wine, or water if you want to, this stops the roasting pan burning and helps the meat juices collect for gravy..
- Return the duck to the oven and reduce the heat to 180°C/Gas 4. Add the cabbage if you're cooking in the oven, or place the pan on a low heat on the stove top. In a small pan infuse the milk for the bread sauce together with the butter, onion, cloves, bayleaf and black and white pepper. Bring slowly to a simmer, then cover and remove from the heat..
- Go for a walk for an hour and a half..
- When the duck is golden and crispy, and the flesh on the thigh is tender when you pinch it, it's done. It can now sit and rest while you prepare your vegetables, and finish the bread sauce. Drain the milk into a clean pan and discard the onion and flavourings. Add the breadcrumbs to the milk and cook over a low heat, stirring from time to time, for 4–5 minutes, then cover and set aside..
- Add the redcurrant or cranberry sauce to the red cabbage and check the seasoning. Make gravy with the meat juices if you wish. Stir in the cream to the bread sauce, transfer to a bowl and add a knob of butter. Serve the duck with the cabbage and bread sauce and vegetables..
Season the duck all over with flaked salt and freshly ground pepper. Drizzle with a little olive oil and place in a roasting pan. The Duck is flavoured with Caraway seeds as the key ingredient, and almost always served with dumplings; either potato dumplings or bread dumplings, and red cabbage. This is very similar to my German Roast Duck which I serve with German potato dumplings. Czech and German food is very similar.