Waxed Meat Rice / Lap Mei Fan. Lap mei (臘味) are the assortment of Chinese preserved meats, also known as waxed meat. Chinese preserved meat claypot rice or dearly known as lap mei fan 臘味飯 is comfort food for the soul. Truth to be told, I have never eaten lap mei fan before until now that is.
Rinse the sausauges and slice them up. In a wok, stir-fry the sliced sausages and duck meat, add in the sauces, mix well. Wash the rice and add water into the rice pot. You can cook Waxed Meat Rice / Lap Mei Fan using 6 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Waxed Meat Rice / Lap Mei Fan
- Prepare 3 stick of chinese sausage (lap cheong).
- You need 6 inches of preserved meat.
- Prepare 1 of waxed preserved duck drumstick.
- Prepare 5 tbsp of light soy sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of sesame oil.
- It’s 2 cup of rice with 4 and a half cups of water.
Blanch the waxed duck and the waxed pork (to remove the oil on it). Heat up the water with rice in the clay pot Then place the meats (and slices of arrowheads, if any) on top. Combine some pepper, salt and cornstarch to form a marinade in a bowl. In a claypot, add the rice and water.
Waxed Meat Rice / Lap Mei Fan step by step
- Under the tap running water, slowly peel the skin to Remove casing of the the Chinese sausage (lap cheong).
- Quick blanch waxed meat.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil then quick blanch all meat for 1 minute then drain.
- Steam all the meat for a minimum 20 minutes then add in the light soy sauce and continue to steam for another 10 minutes.
- Wash rice grain till water are clear about 3 times then add water then bring it to a boil first in the rice cooker then starting to dry up (half way thru cooking) then add in all the meat continue cooking till its done.
- Removed meat then thinly slice all meat then add onto rice cooker with light soy sauce and and vegetable then bake for another 10 minute.
- Removed vegetable then Add sesame oil and mix well then bake for another 5 minute.
- Fluff up rice and serve.
The best time to buy lap cheong and wax meats are during Chinese Chinese New Year as winter is dry and perfect condition to cure it. Lap Mei Fun is a simple and delicious one pot meal. The marriage of various types of cured meat infuses the rice with its rich aroma and flavour. Add in rice and stir-fry till fragrant. No better time than the middle of winter, on the cusp of the Chinese New Year, to indulge in this most gorgeous and traditional of Cantonese dishes, the Lap Mei Fan Preserved Meat Claypot Rice 臘味飯, an all in one concoction of rice piled with traditional Chinese preserved meats, also known as Lap Mei 臘味, and then cooked in a clay pot to tender crusty perfection.