Simple Yellow Jasmine Rice & "Peas". Bring The French Quarter To Your Kitchen With Zatarain's® Recipes & Ideas For Inspiration. Save On Quality Grains & Rice Free in-store pickup. In a large pot, add the butter, garlic, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon.
Heat the butter, turmeric, garlic, cumin, and cinnamon in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir and heat until the butter has melted. Add the dry rice to the pot. You can cook Simple Yellow Jasmine Rice & "Peas" using 10 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Simple Yellow Jasmine Rice & "Peas"
- Prepare of butter + 1 Tablespoon oil.
- Prepare of a medium onion, minced.
- Prepare of minced garlic (about 2 large cloves).
- It’s of turmeric.
- You need of Jasmine rice.
- It’s of coconut milk (remember to shake it well in the can so all the solids incorporate with the liquid).
- You need of +2/3 cup unsalted chicken or vegetable stock (depending on how dry/wet you like your rice).
- Prepare of kosher salt.
- Prepare of can beans of choice rinsed and well drained (don't get the unsalted for this recipe).
- It’s of optional: 2 sprigs thyme, 1 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero chili (pierced in several spots if you like more heat), 1/2 teaspoon allspice.
Stir and cook over medium heat for. The first step to making yellow jasmine rice is to add the butter, garlic, turmeric, cumin and a bit of cinnamon to a saucepan. Add the rice to the saucepan and stir to coat completely. Make sure to get the spices all over the rice and toast for a few minutes.
Simple Yellow Jasmine Rice & "Peas" step by step
- In a pot or large saucepan, melt the butter with the oil over a medium heat then add onion and garlic and sweat until the onions are translucent – maybe 3 to 4 minutes. Add the turmeric to the onions and garlic and stir to combine. (If you're going to add the optional flavorings, this would be the time.).
- Add the rice to the mixture and stir to combine. Toast the rice for 4 or 5 minutes in the pot, stirring occasionally to redistribute the grains on the top to the surface of the pan. You'll see the grains begin to turn opaque from the toasting. This process not only gives the rice a toastier flavor, but it also helps the individual grains retain their shape and texture..
- Add the coconut milk and stock and stir to incorporate the liquid throughout the rice. Bring the heat up to medium high and bring to a gentle boil for about 2 minutes..
- At that point, bring the heat down to just slightly higher than low and cover, lid slightly askew, until almost all the liquid is absorbed by the rice, and only the slightest bit of moisture is showing on the top..
- Pour the beans in an even layer over the top, put the lid back on slightly askew, and continue to steam the rice until 5 minutes after all of the liquid has been absorbed..
- Turn off the heat and let the rice sit for 5 to 10 minutes (and not much more) before fluffing the rice with a broad spoon or spatula while incorporating the beans as evenly as you can into it..
- Enjoy alongside some finger lickin' Jerk Chicken or some hearty and delicious oxtail stew..
Heat the butter, turmeric, garlic, and cumin in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir and heat until the butter has melted. In a large saucepan over a medium-low heat, warm the oil. Mix in green peas, bay leaf, and jasmine rice. Stir once, cover, and reduce heat to low.