Real Pumpkin Pie with a Gingersnap Crust. Pie is best the day after it is made. Remove the stem from the pumpkin and scrape out the pulp and seeds. In a small bowl, combine cookie crumbs and butter.
Pour in the melted butter and pulse until combined. The pumpkin filling is spicy and not too sweet, and the gingersnap crust marries perfectly with the slight ginger flavor in the filling. The gingersnap crust is pre-baked to set and then the pumpkin filling is spooned in. You can have Real Pumpkin Pie with a Gingersnap Crust using 20 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Real Pumpkin Pie with a Gingersnap Crust
- Prepare of Pumpkin Puree:.
- It’s 2 1/2 lb of sugar pumpkin.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of ginger.
- Prepare 1/8 teaspoon of allspice.
- Prepare 1/8 teaspoon of cloves.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- You need of Crust:.
- It’s 7 ounces of gingersnap cookies.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ground ginger.
- You need 1 1/2 ounce of or 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted.
- Prepare of Filling:.
- It’s 16 ounces of Pumpkin Puree.
- You need 1 cup of half-and-half.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar.
- It’s 2 of large eggs.
- You need 1 of large egg yolk.
The filling takes just minutes to pull together using canned pumpkin, sugar, and a few spices. Pick up a pumpkin or two and make an amazing homemade pumpkin pie. You will love the fresh, full flavor of baking with real pumpkin. Follow these directions for selecting the best pie gourds to make pumpkin pie from a pumpkin.
Real Pumpkin Pie with a Gingersnap Crust instructions
- Raw Pumpkin Prep (GO TO STEP 6, IF USING CANNED PUMPKIN): Heat the oven to 400 degrees F..
- Cut the sugar pumpkin into 8 wedges. Use a paring knife or spoon remove all of the seeds and pulp..
- Sprinkle the flesh with kosher salt and lay the halves, flesh side down, on a parchment paper-lined half sheet pan. Roast until a paring knife can be easily inserted and removed from the pumpkin, 30 to 45 minutes. Test in several places to ensure doneness..
- Remove the half sheet pan to a cooling rack and cool the pumpkin for 1 hour. Using a large spoon, remove the roasted flesh of the pumpkin from the skin..
- Process until the flesh is smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months..
- Crust: Combine the gingersnaps, brown sugar, and ginger in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the cookies are fine crumbs. Drizzle the butter into the crumb mixture. Pulse 8 to 10 times to combine..
- Press the gingersnap mixture into the bottom, up the sides, and just over the lip of a 9-inch glass pie dish. Place on a half sheet pan and bake the crust for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool crust at least 10 minutes before filling..
- Pumpkin Puree: Heat the oven to 350 degrees F..
- Add 16 ounces (455 g) of the pumpkin to a bowl, along with the cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, and salt. Stir to combine..
- Spread the pumpkin puree mixture evenly on Silpat Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove the pumpkin mixture from the heat and cool for 10 minutes..
- Filling: Add Pumpkin Puree to a food processor, along with half-and-half, dark brown sugar, eggs, egg yolk. Puree until very smooth, 6-8 minutes..
- Pour the prepared filling into the warm pie crust and bake on the same half sheet pan until the center jiggles slightly but the sides of the filling are set, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack for at least 2 to 3 hours before slicing. Pie can be made and refrigerated up to 2 days in advance. Pie is best the day after it is made..
We include tips, tricks, and even a recipe for pumpkin pie from scratch. The easy press-in crust is made with Speculoos cookies, a crunchy Dutch biscuit made with brown sugar and warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves—a perfect pairing for the spicy sweet pumpkin filling. The pies get their kick from grated fresh ginger, but it mellows under a pillowy dollop of whipped cream. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Next, add the salt, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice and mix until incorporated.