Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce. Carolina-style barbeque sauces are known for their peppery, vinegary kick; the fresh apple in this sauce brings a unique twist to a classic style.. the birthplace of mustard-based BBQ sauce. I have tried a wide variety of mustard sauces. North Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce Blending two vinegars helps re-create the BBQ sauce we love from my mother's North Carolina roots. — Gloria McKinley, Lakeland, Florida North Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce Recipe photo by Taste of Home Carolina-style barbecue sauce is vinegar and mustard based, quite the opposite of the thicker and sweeter molasses-based sauces used in the South and Midwest.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. North Carolina BBQ sauce is a southern-style barbeque sauce. While most BBQ sauces are ketchup and molasses based, Carolina sauce is made with a base of vinegar and mustard. You can cook Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce using 16 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce
- Prepare 3 Tbs. of olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 of yellow onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of jalapeno peppers, finely chopped.
- You need 2-3 cloves of garlic, smashed.
- It’s 1.5 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- You need 1 bottle (32 oz.) of ketchup.
- Prepare 1 cup of BBQ sauce, store brand.
- Prepare 6 Tbs. of dark mustard.
- You need 2 Tbs. of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- You need 1 tablespoon of lime juice.
- You need 1 can (8 oz.) of pineapple bits.
- You need 1/2 cup of molasses.
- You need Dash of paprika & thyme.
- It’s Dash of salt & pepper.
- Prepare Dash of red pepper flakes.
What does Carolina BBQ sauce taste like? Carolina barbeque sauce is thick and tangy with a very subtle sweetness. Dump everything into a medium saucepan set to low heat. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce instructions
- Add oil to a heated 3 quart pot over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and sauté them for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and mix..
- Add all the liquid ingredients (but not the fruit & molasses) to the pot and simmer for 30 minutes over medium-low heat..
- Add the fruit pieces and very lightly blend the sauce using an immersion blender (or a blender in batches). Add the molasses and simmer this for 45 minutes on low-medium heat..
- While simmering, season with spices to taste as the sauce slowly thickens. Place in a large container when done. Refrigerate to further the thickening process before using..
Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce is vinegar and mustard based. It's roots come from South Carolina and has trickled into the homes of some North Carolinians. Unlike North Carolina bbq sauce, which is vinegar based with ketchup, brown sugar or molasses; the Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce is based with mustard, vinegar sugar and/or honey, and spices. Directions In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine apple cider vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce and whisk until combined. Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce is tangy, spicy and is the ultimate sauce when you're serving pork!