Our Family Recipe for Coconut Milk Curry. Great recipe for Our Family Recipe for Coconut Milk Curry. One day my husband said, "The curry we learned how to cook in school was delicious. I want to have some." I combined the curry I saw once in a magazine (that I vaguely remembered) with the curry I learned in school (again, a vague.
Add coconut milk, tomatoes, and sugar and stir to combine. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to low. You can have Our Family Recipe for Coconut Milk Curry using 19 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Our Family Recipe for Coconut Milk Curry
- It’s of thigh Chicken thigh.
- It’s of ☆Plain yogurt.
- Prepare of ☆Turmeric.
- You need of ☆Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of to 2 Potatoes.
- Prepare of Onion.
- You need of Vegetable oil or butter.
- Prepare of piece/clove each ◎Garlic and ginger.
- It’s of ◎Red chili pepper.
- It’s of ◎Bay leaf.
- Prepare of ◎Cinnamon stick.
- Prepare of ◎Cumin seeds.
- It’s of White wine.
- It’s of ●Curry powder.
- It’s of ●Water.
- You need of each ●Ketchup and Japanese Worcestershire-style sauce.
- It’s of Coconut milk.
- It’s of Garam masala.
- You need of Cardamon powder.
This is my favorite coconut curry recipe and so simple to make. I skip the sugar since coconut milk is sweet enough, and use a whole can of coconut milk and add a little more of the other ingredients for more sauce. This sauce is fantastic over rice with sautéed shrimp or grilled chicken for an easy and flavorful dinner. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil.
Our Family Recipe for Coconut Milk Curry step by step
- Cut the chicken into bite sizes. Poke several holes with a fork, and rub into the ☆ ingredients. Leave to marinate for about 20 minutes. Please cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate..
- Cut the potatoes into easy to eat pieces (peeled or unpeeled, your choice). Peel the onion. Slice one half thinly, and grate the other half..
- Put vegetable oil and all the ◎ ingredients in a pot. Crush the ginger with the skin intact if you can. Stir fry over low heat until fragrant..
- Add sliced onion and stir fry. When the slices have wilted, add grated onion. You don't have to caramelized the onion slices – just cook until they smell sweet. The cumin scent is very strong, so you may not be able to discern from the onion fragrance, but after making this a few times you'll get used to detecting it..
- Add potatoes and stir fry. When the pieces start to become translucent, turn the heat off..
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan, and pan fry the chicken from Step 1. Add white wine and boil for about 10 seconds..
- Add the chicken with the pan juices to the pot from Step 5..
- Add all the ● ingredients and mix. Simmer for 10-15 minutes over low-medium heat. The photo shows how it looks before simmering..
- This photo shows how it looks after simmering. The cinnamon stick should have softened and fallen apart at this stage, so take it out..
- Add coconut milk and stir to combine. Simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat..
- Finally, add garam masala and cardamon powder and mix in. Simmer for 1 minute, then turn off the heat. Take out the bay leaf, garlic, and ginger..
- Transfer to a serving plate and it's done. The red chili pepper in the photo is for garnishing, and not for eating..
- It's hard to measure spices packed as in the Step 13 photo with a measuring spoon, so I looked it up in books and it seems that most powdered spices are 2 g for 1 teaspoon. I don't think you need to be too particular about this, but if you are wondering, use as reference..
- Bonus: I used mixed fruit yogurt to marinate the chicken instead of plain yogurt (see photo, back right). Since I add mango chutney to the curry sometimes, I thought it may work. It was delicious..
This Grilled Coconut Curry Chicken is one of my new favorite chicken marinades! We do a lot of grilling in the summer to keep the heat out of the house, but I have been craving Indian food! So I decided to combine grilling and the flavors of coconut curry and that is how this chicken was created. Add coconut milk, broth, tomatoes, sweet potato, green beans and chickpeas. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.