Harissa chicken with couscous and flatbread. Great recipe for Harissa chicken with couscous and flatbread. Me and Emily cooking this dish live on IGTV. How quick and delicious is this dish!!!
Arrange the chicken on a baking tray and pour over the harissa mixture. Drizzle the chicken with a tablespoon or two of cooking oil and a generous sprinkle of salt. Arrange the sliced onions at the bottom of a roasting pan, Dutch oven or a large oven-safe skillet. You can have Harissa chicken with couscous and flatbread using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Harissa chicken with couscous and flatbread
- It’s 125 g of couscous (I use ready made in sachet).
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of hot water.
- You need 1 tsp of lemon zest and juice of 1 lemon.
- Prepare 2 of chicken breasts.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of harissa.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 of onion, thinly sliced.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chilli flakes.
- It’s 25-30 g of sultanas.
- It’s 50 g of mix nuts, toasted and chopped.
- It’s 1 handful of fresh parsley, chopped.
- It’s of Flatbread (adapted from Emily’s recipe).
- You need 1 cup of plain flour (some more for dusting).
- You need 1/4 cup of cold water (may need to add more).
- It’s Pinch of salt.
- Prepare 1 pinch of cumin powder and cinnamon powder.
When you're done cooking the harissa chicken, serve it over white rice, brown rice, quinoa, couscous, flatbread, salad or whatever you're in the mood for. The classic way to eat is with over white rice, but it's a flavorful chicken recipe that you can use in so many ways. My husband likes wrapping it up with pita bread, hummus and tabbouleh. Put the yoghurt and harissa in a bowl and mix together.
Harissa chicken with couscous and flatbread instructions
- Add hot water in the couscous and leave it to cook. Add butter after a couple min and mix well. Put lid on..
- Marinate your chicken with harissa sauce, chilli flakes, lemon zest and half of lemon juice..
- Add some olive oil. Pan fry your chicken until cooked both side. Once chicken cooked take them out to rest..
- Add onion in the same pan as you fry your chicken and quick stir. Transfer couscous into the pan, add 1 tsp of harissa sauce, some lemon zest, squeeze of lemon juice, sultana and nut and mix well..
- Making flatbread, add plain flour, cumin and cinnamon powder, salt and mix, add some water a little bit at time and use your hand of form it to dough. Roughly knead it until nice and smooth for 3-4 min. Place on a flat surface with dust of flour. Cut into 4 and roll them out nice and thin..
- Pan fry on dry pan for a few minutes or until both side cooked..
- Dish up : add couscous in the pan then add chicken on top. Serve with flatbread and extra lemon juice and harissa sauce if prefer.
Couscous is normally used as a side dish; however, it can also be used as a filling for soups or watery stews. When it's cooked in a soup, it absorbs the aromatic rich broth and becomes extremely tasty as well as adding a different texture to the dish. Add the chicken and potatoes, then rub the thighs and legs and potatoes with the marinade. Be sure to use your hands to rub the sauce under the skin of the chicken. I like to serve harissa chicken with basmati rice or roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes (which you can roast on the same sheet pan alongside the chicken!) Quinoa, farro, or couscous are great sides, too.