Tomato Pie. Leading UK Based Salon Supplier, Become One Of Our Happy Customers! Browse new releases, best sellers or classics & Find your next favourite book This savory layered pie is a great way to use up extra summer tomatoes–and it's delicious warm or cold. Layers of sliced onion and tomato are topped with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
Spread the drained chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes. Philadelphia tomato pie is known for its thick, square crust topped with chunky tomato sauce but rarely any cheese. You can have Tomato Pie using 13 ingredients and 23 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Tomato Pie
- Prepare 2 cups of Whole Wheat Flour..
- It’s 3/4 cup of Butter,chilled and cubed.
- It’s 1 Tsp of Salt..
- It’s 1/2 cup of Ice cold Water.
- It’s 4 cups of Tomatoes,thinly sliced.
- You need 1 1/2 Tsp of Salt.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Mayonnaise..
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Fresh Lemon juice.
- You need 1 Cup of Shredded Parmesan cheese.
- You need 1 1/2 Cup of Sweet Corn.
- You need 2 Tbsp of Fresh basil finely chopped.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Fresh chives.
- It’s 1/4 Tsp of Freshly ground black Pepper.
In Trenton, New Jersey, tomato pie is a type of pizza that has a round, thin, crust with cheese in the middle and sauce on top. Where did Southern tomato pie originate? Cover the tomatoes with half of the cheese mixture and repeat this step. Layer the last of the tomato slices on top, overlapping is okay, and firmly press them into the pie.
Tomato Pie step by step
- Steps for preparing pie-crust:-.
- In the bowl add whole wheat flour and salt..
- Add chilled butter cubes to flour rub with fingers tips until mixture resembles bread crumbs..
- Mix well and slowly add chilled water to form a stiff dough..
- Wrap dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes..
- After 30 minutes take out the dough from the refrigerator and roll dough into a circle on a lightly floured surface..
- Preheat oven at 220*C for 10 minutes..
- Fit rolled dough into a pie pan,pressing firmly against bottom and sides..
- Fill pastry with dried beans (this will keep the crust from bubbling up) and bake at 220*C for 20 minutes..
- Once done Cool completely on a wire rack for about 30 minutes..
- Steps for preparing pie filling:-.
- Place sliced tomatoes in a single layer on paper towel,sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt. Let stand 10 minutes..
- Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, and 3/4 cup cheese in a small bowl..
- Steps for assembling pie and baking:-.
- Preheat oven at 190*C for 10 minutes..
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup corn in bottom of crust, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp basil, 1 1/2 tsp chives, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper..
- Pat dry sliced tomatoes with a paper towel..
- Arrange half of tomato slices over corn, overlapping slightly..
- Repeat layering with remaining corn,basil,chives, salt, and pepper.Now spread mayonnaise mixture over filling..
- Arrange remaining tomatoes over mayonnaise mixture, overlapping slightly..
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup parmesan cheese,chives and basil leaves over tomatoes..
- Bake at 190*C for 25-30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and cheese is melting..
- Let stand on a wire rack 15 minutes before cutting into wedges.
This helps the ingredients come together. Layer the tomato slices into the bottom of your pre-baked pie shell. Chop your basil and green onions and sprinkle them over the tomatoes. Smooth the cheese mixture onto the top of the pie, and then it's ready to bake! A favorite in the American South, tomato pie is a thrifty and delicious casserole style dish wrapped up in a buttery pie crust.