Tomato Pie. Save time and do your groceries online. Free UK delivery on eligible orders! Layer pre-baked pie shell with onions, tomatoes, basil: Sprinkle a layer of chopped onion over the bottom of your pre-baked pie crust shell.
This savory layered pie is a great way to use up extra summer tomatoes–and it's delicious warm or cold. Layers of sliced onion and tomato are topped with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. The pie is baked until golden brown, and then garnished with chopped fresh herbs. You can cook Tomato Pie using 13 ingredients and 23 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tomato Pie
- You need of Whole Wheat Flour..
- Prepare of Butter,chilled and cubed.
- Prepare of Salt..
- It’s of Ice cold Water.
- You need of Tomatoes,thinly sliced.
- It’s of Salt.
- Prepare of Mayonnaise..
- Prepare of Fresh Lemon juice.
- It’s of Shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Prepare of Sweet Corn.
- You need of Fresh basil finely chopped.
- You need of Fresh chives.
- You need of Freshly ground black Pepper.
Philadelphia tomato pie is known for its thick, square crust topped with chunky tomato sauce but rarely any cheese. In Trenton, New Jersey, tomato pie is a type of pizza that has a round, thin, crust with cheese in the middle and sauce on top. Where did Southern tomato pie originate? Layer the tomato slices into the bottom of your pre-baked pie shell.
Tomato Pie instructions
- Steps for preparing pie-crust:-.
- In the bowl add whole wheat flour and salt..
- Add chilled butter cubes to flour rub with fingers tips until mixture resembles bread crumbs..
- Mix well and slowly add chilled water to form a stiff dough..
- Wrap dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes..
- After 30 minutes take out the dough from the refrigerator and roll dough into a circle on a lightly floured surface..
- Preheat oven at 220*C for 10 minutes..
- Fit rolled dough into a pie pan,pressing firmly against bottom and sides..
- Fill pastry with dried beans (this will keep the crust from bubbling up) and bake at 220*C for 20 minutes..
- Once done Cool completely on a wire rack for about 30 minutes..
- Steps for preparing pie filling:-.
- Place sliced tomatoes in a single layer on paper towel,sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt. Let stand 10 minutes..
- Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, and 3/4 cup cheese in a small bowl..
- Steps for assembling pie and baking:-.
- Preheat oven at 190*C for 10 minutes..
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup corn in bottom of crust, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp basil, 1 1/2 tsp chives, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper..
- Pat dry sliced tomatoes with a paper towel..
- Arrange half of tomato slices over corn, overlapping slightly..
- Repeat layering with remaining corn,basil,chives, salt, and pepper.Now spread mayonnaise mixture over filling..
- Arrange remaining tomatoes over mayonnaise mixture, overlapping slightly..
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup parmesan cheese,chives and basil leaves over tomatoes..
- Bake at 190*C for 25-30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and cheese is melting..
- Let stand on a wire rack 15 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Chop your basil and green onions and sprinkle them over the tomatoes. Smooth the cheese mixture onto the top of the pie, and then it's ready to bake! Cover the tomatoes with half of the cheese mixture and repeat this step. Layer the last of the tomato slices on top, overlapping is okay, and firmly press them into the pie. This helps the ingredients come together.