French Onion Soup. Low Prices on French Onion Soup. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home.
Melt the butter and oil in a deep saucepan. Add the onion and fry over high heat for few minutes. Remove the lid, sprinkle in the sugar and. You can cook French Onion Soup using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- You need of butter.
- It’s of olive oil.
- You need of sliced onions (about 7 medium onions).
- It’s of flour.
- You need of beef broth (I use 8 cups water and 8 packets beef bovril).
- You need of garlic sliced.
- You need of sugar.
- Prepare of dry white wine.
- You need of French bread sliced into 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick pieces.
- It’s of Swiss gruyere or mozzarella cheese (thinly sliced or grated).
Add the flour and stir to coat the onions. Now served without the beef, the quality of the onions is crucial. You want both high acidity and high sugar levels to create a fully-flavoured soup. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
French Onion Soup instructions
- Melt butter in large sauce pan then add 2 Tbsp olive oil..
- Stir in onions, garlic and sugar..
- Cook uncovered over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions are golden brown..
- Sprinkle flour over onions and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes, stirring constantly..
- Add beef stock and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for another 30 to 40 minutes..
- While the soup simmers, prepare the bread..
- Brush bread slices lightly with remaining olive oil on both sides and put on pan in 350 degree oven. Lightly toast each side (turn part way)..
- Ladle soup into individual oven proof bowls and top with 2 or 3 slices of French bread followed by the cheese..
- Put oven proof bowls on a baking pan and bake in 350 degree for 10 to 20 minutes until cheese is melted..
The best French onion soup is made by creating layers of flavour, starting with a good quality beef stock, then adding caramelised onions and wine. My version uses Essential Cuisine's Veal Jus, which adds a luxuriously rich flavour boost to the finished soup. Served with melting Gruyere toasts, this is the ultimate winter comfort dish. How To Make French Onion Soup To begin, in a large Dutch oven or soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the oil, onions, salt, pepper, and sugar.