Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam). Soto ayam is a chicken soup dish originated from Indonesia and is popular in Malaysia and Singapore. However, you have to take a paradigm shift to appreciate it. Unlike a creamy soup, it's a clear soup with loads of ingredients and condiments.
To make the chicken stock, heat the vegetable oil in large stock pot over high heat. Soto Ayam is a classic chicken soup from Indonesia but also popular in Singapore and Malaysia. It's traditionally served with vermicelli noodles (or Bihun/Bee Hoon), shredded chicken, and eggs. You can have Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam) using 27 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam)
- Prepare of For Broth.
- Prepare of Chicken (i use around 300gr).
- Prepare of Water for boil.
- It’s of Bay Leaves.
- It’s of Lemon grass powder (fresh will be better).
- It’s of dried Galangal (fresh will better).
- Prepare of ginger powder + 1 dried ginger (fresh will be better).
- You need of coriander seeds.
- You need of turmeric powder.
- You need of garlic.
- It’s of shallots (i used red onion).
- It’s of white pepper.
- Prepare of cumin powder.
- It’s of candlenuts.
- You need of nutmeg since i dont wan't strong taste of it.
- It’s of Salt.
- It’s of For Servings.
- Prepare of Boiled eggs.
- You need of White cabbage – shredded.
- Prepare of Green onion – chopped.
- Prepare of Bean sprouts.
- It’s of Perkedel.
- Prepare of Fried onion (see in my other recipe).
- You need of Vermicelli noodles (i don't have, i use rice).
- You need of Kaffir limes (i use lemon).
- It’s of Sambal (chili sauce/ paste).
- You need of Sweet soya sauce.
In addition, the soup is topped with bean sprouts, cabbage, fried shallots, cilantro, Chinese celery, and krupuk or emping. Soto ayam is chicken noodle soup – Indonesian style. Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup) is another popular dish in Indonesia. It is like chicken soup but the broth is yellow because of turmeric.
Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam) instructions
- Prepare Pot, put 1 litre water. Boil it. Add chicken and bay leaves.
- Smash garlic, candlenuts, coriander seeds, ginger, galangal, nutmeg and onion until it become paste (you can use food processor).
- Fry the paste add turmeric powder, lemongrass powder, cumin powder, salt & white pepper.
- Add the fried seasonings above into pot.
- After the chicken cooked well take chicken, let it cool and shred it..
- Meanwhile prepare for servings, soak bean sprouts and white cabbage in hot water until it soft and rinse it.
- The servings, shredded white cabbage, tomatoes, bean sprouts, shredded chicken, chopped green onions, boiled eggs, fried onion, fritter potato (Perkedel/ frikadel).
- Meanwhile prepare your bowl, fill with vermicelli / rice / rice cake shredded cabagge, bean sprouts, sambal, green onion, boiled egg halved, add the broth. Add fried onion & perkedel.
- With rice cake (Lontong).
It is served with glass noodles, fried or boiled potatoes, chicken, fried onions, emping (padi oats crackers), slices of hard boiled egg, blanched bean sprouts, parsley, and sometimes diced tomato. There are many types of soto from many parts of Indonesia. Soto Ayam is a chicken noodle soup popular in Malaysia and Indonesia. Soto ayam (chicken soup in Indonesian language) is the chicken version. The most commonly used name for this chicken noodle soup is soto but it has other names depending on the region.