Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam). Soto ayam is a chicken soup dish originated from Indonesia and is popular in Malaysia and Singapore. However, you have to take a paradigm shift to appreciate it. Unlike a creamy soup, it's a clear soup with loads of ingredients and condiments.
To make the chicken stock, heat the vegetable oil in large stock pot over high heat. Soto Ayam is a classic chicken soup from Indonesia but also popular in Singapore and Malaysia. It's traditionally served with vermicelli noodles (or Bihun/Bee Hoon), shredded chicken, and eggs. You can have Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam) using 27 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam)
- Prepare of For Broth.
- You need of Chicken (i use around 300gr).
- It’s of Water for boil.
- Prepare of Bay Leaves.
- It’s of Lemon grass powder (fresh will be better).
- It’s of dried Galangal (fresh will better).
- Prepare of ginger powder + 1 dried ginger (fresh will be better).
- You need of coriander seeds.
- You need of turmeric powder.
- It’s of garlic.
- You need of shallots (i used red onion).
- You need of white pepper.
- It’s of cumin powder.
- You need of candlenuts.
- You need of nutmeg since i dont wan't strong taste of it.
- You need of Salt.
- It’s of For Servings.
- You need of Boiled eggs.
- You need of White cabbage – shredded.
- It’s of Green onion – chopped.
- Prepare of Bean sprouts.
- You need of Perkedel.
- You need of Fried onion (see in my other recipe).
- Prepare of Vermicelli noodles (i don't have, i use rice).
- Prepare of Kaffir limes (i use lemon).
- It’s of Sambal (chili sauce/ paste).
- Prepare of Sweet soya sauce.
In addition, the soup is topped with bean sprouts, cabbage, fried shallots, cilantro, Chinese celery, and krupuk or emping. Soto ayam is chicken noodle soup – Indonesian style. Put the chicken, water, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover, lower heat, and simmer gently until the chicken is soft.
Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam) instructions
- Prepare Pot, put 1 litre water. Boil it. Add chicken and bay leaves.
- Smash garlic, candlenuts, coriander seeds, ginger, galangal, nutmeg and onion until it become paste (you can use food processor).
- Fry the paste add turmeric powder, lemongrass powder, cumin powder, salt & white pepper.
- Add the fried seasonings above into pot.
- After the chicken cooked well take chicken, let it cool and shred it..
- Meanwhile prepare for servings, soak bean sprouts and white cabbage in hot water until it soft and rinse it.
- The servings, shredded white cabbage, tomatoes, bean sprouts, shredded chicken, chopped green onions, boiled eggs, fried onion, fritter potato (Perkedel/ frikadel).
- Meanwhile prepare your bowl, fill with vermicelli / rice / rice cake shredded cabagge, bean sprouts, sambal, green onion, boiled egg halved, add the broth. Add fried onion & perkedel.
- With rice cake (Lontong).
When the chicken is cool enough to handle, discard the skin and remove the flesh from the bones, shredding it finely by hand. Soto Ayam (Indonesian Yellow Chicken Soup) is another popular dish in Indonesia. It is like chicken soup but the broth is yellow because of turmeric. It is served with glass noodles, fried or boiled potatoes, chicken, fried onions, emping (padi oats crackers), slices of hard boiled egg, blanched bean sprouts, parsley, and sometimes diced tomato. There are many types of soto from many parts of Indonesia.