Scottish Shortbread. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Luxury Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocolate & Gifts From Whittard. Scottish Shortbread Tips Are shortbread and butter cookies the same? While both have a higher proportion of butter in their recipes, butter cookies contain more sugar and flour, are baked at a higher temperature and tend to hold their shape when baked.
Made with a lot of butter, this was considered a special treat when butter was a luxury item. Cut the dough with floured cutters and transfer the cut. Traditionally Scottish shortbread is baked in either a rectangular or square slab and cut into fingers, as individual round biscuits, or in one large circle and cut into triangles. You can cook Scottish Shortbread using 4 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Scottish Shortbread
- Prepare 1 lb of butter softened.
- It’s 1 cup of sugar.
- It’s 4-4 1/2 cups of flour (approximately).
- It’s Pinch of salt.
But you can cut them any shape you like and also use cookie stamps. Baked in large rounds to resemble the sun and cut into wedges, shortbread is traditionally served in Scotland on winter solstice, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day. It's wonderful with coffee or tea any time of day — and since it's appealingly plain, kids love it as much as grown-ups. My Scottish grandmother was renowned for her baking, and one of the highlights whenever we visited my grandparents was her bringing out the baking tin.
Scottish Shortbread instructions
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Add about 4 cups of flour to butter mixture a 1/2 cup or so at a time mixing thoroughly between additions until dough forms a ball adding more flour as needed.
- Roll out into a rectangle or press evenly into a 9 by 12 baking pan (I use a glass baking pan).
- About 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, score with a knife into approximate 1 1/2 x 3 inch pieces and dock with a fork.
- Bake in a 325 Degree oven for 60 to 75 minutes until lightly browned.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and cut along score marks while still warm, remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- Yield 24 biscuits.
Her shortbread cookies were my favorite, and now, whenever I make them, I remember her. This is not a thin, crispy dessert shortbread; it's a deep bar that is best served with a cup of tea. Put the butter (if using unsalted butter then ADD a pinch of salt to it) into a medium-size mixing bowl and mash it with a fork until it is soft and creamy without lumps. Even the way Scottish shortbread is decorated is symbolic and traditional. Scottish shortbread Hacks The dough will soften in the heat of the oven.