Grandma Betty's Pumpkin Pie. Great recipe for Grandma Betty's Pumpkin Pie. This pumpkin pie recipe from my Mom is a traditional dish for Thanksgiving at my house, so it's gotta be right! This pie uses a homemade crust that you don't have to pre-bake, which is a great time-saver.
Add a pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt. Beat eggs in large bowl; stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mix; gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shells; cover edges with narrow piece of foil avoiding contact with filling. You can have Grandma Betty's Pumpkin Pie using 13 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Grandma Betty's Pumpkin Pie
- You need 1 1/3 cups of all purpose flour.
- It’s 2/3 cups of *cold* unsalted butter (1 stick and 3 tablespoons).
- You need 5-7 Tablespoons of ice water.
- You need 2 of slightly beaten eggs.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of fresh, pureed pumpkin (or canned pumpkin).
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
- It’s 1/4 cup of granulated (white) sugar or coconut sugar.
- You need 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of ginger.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of cloves.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- It’s 1 2/3 cups of evaporated milk (12 oz can).
Grandma's Famous Pumpkin Pie is smooth, thick, and creamy! A MUST for the holidays and the best when served with a big scoop of whip cream on top! My grandma would make the best pies ever! In large bowl, beat eggs slightly with wire whisk or hand beater.
Grandma Betty's Pumpkin Pie step by step
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the dough for the crust first by putting the flour into a food processor or mixing bowl. Add a pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt..
- Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes to make it easier to mix, and add that to the mixture. Blend it with a large food processor blade (my preference) or use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour..
- Add 5 to 7 tablespoons of ice water. Use as little water as you can to get the mixture to form into dough ball. As soon as the dough starts sticking together, stop adding water and stop mixing..
- Make a ball from the dough, and put it in the refrigerator to cool for at least 10 minutes. You want the dough to be cold when you roll it out into a crust..
- Now make the filling: Combine the eggs, pumpkin, sugar, salt and spices into a bowl and mix with a whisk until the color is even..
- Last, add the evaporated milk gradually, pouring about 3 oz at a time in and mixing well. Put the filling into the refrigerator..
- Get ready to roll the crust. Get your pie plate ready, get out a rolling pin, dust it with flour. Prepare your rolling surface with a dusting of flour as well. A granite or stone rolling surface is best, because it will keep the dough cool. You want to do this next part fairly quickly because you don't want the dough to warm up too much, and the longer you work the dough, the tougher the crust will be..
- Get the dough out of the fridge, put some flour on your hands and flatten the ball into a thick circle, then put it on your rolling surface..
- Roll out the dough to fit your pie plate. Flip the dough and dust with flour a few times to prevent it sticking to your rolling surface. Thickness of the rolled out crust should be about 3/8 inch thick..
- Put the rolled dough into the pie plate, push the dough gently into the bottom of the edges, and trim (or decorate) the rim of the crust..
- Move the pie crust to a counter top as close to the oven as you can. Pour the filling into the crust..
- Put the pie into the oven and bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for **15 minutes**..
- After 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes. When done, the filling should move only slightly (like firm Jello) when you shake it. You can also test for done-ness by sticking a knife into the center of the pie. If it comes out clean, the pie is done..
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool before serving..
This is classic pumpkin pie at its best. It's pie you can find in the shiny, spinning dessert case at diners all across America. For a lot of us, it's also Grandma's pie. Mix together pumpkin, sugar, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Directions Sift together sugar, flour, salt and spices into mixing bowl.