Sea Salt Caramel Shortbread Squares. Once chilled, remove from the fridge. If you used parchment paper, pull out the shortbread by pulling from the edges. Mix together all ingredients expect vanilla in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Pour caramel onto cooled shortbread, sprinkle immediately with coarse sea salt. I have had success with placing in the fridge to cool to speed up the process. Cut into squares and serve or store chilled in airtight container. You can cook Sea Salt Caramel Shortbread Squares using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sea Salt Caramel Shortbread Squares
- You need 2/3 cup of butter.
- It’s 1/4 cup of white sugar.
- It’s 1 1/4 cups of all purpose flour.
- It’s 1/2 cup of butter.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of packed light brown sugar.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of light corn syrup.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of dark chocolate chips.
- You need of Sea salt.
Put the butter in a large bowl and beat well with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until creamy and very pale. Add the sugar, salt, and vanilla and beat again until even paler. Spread over cooled caramel; sprinkle with sea salt. Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel layer and sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
Sea Salt Caramel Shortbread Squares instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees..
- In a medium bowl, mix together 2/3 cup butter, white sugar and flour until evenly crumbly. Press into a 9 inch square baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes..
- In a 2 quart saucepan, combine 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue to boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for 3 minutes. Pour over warm or cool baked crust. Cool until it begins to firm..
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute on high power, then stir. Continue to heat and stir at 20 second intervals until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour chocolate over the caramel layer and spread evenly to cover completely. Sprinkle with sea salt and chill. Lift squares out of pan using parchment paper and place on cutting board. Cut into squares. Makes 36 squares..
Allow to cool completely so the chocolate can harden. Cool completely before cutting in to squares. Sprinkle coarse sea salt over the caramel. Crumble the reserved crust evenly over the caramel. Making the heart and taste buds smile.