Coconut Custard Cream Pie. Check Out our Selection & Order Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Looking For Coconut Cream Pie Recipe?
Combine Cream of Coconut, evaporated milk, butter, flour, salt, and cornstarch. Cook in top of double boiler or medium non-stick pot. When mixture begins to thicken, add in egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition. You can cook Coconut Custard Cream Pie using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Coconut Custard Cream Pie
- You need of Crust:.
- You need of Graham cracker squares, crushed into crumbs.
- Prepare of melted butter.
- It’s of Filling:.
- You need of toasted coconut.
- It’s of flour.
- Prepare of sugar.
- Prepare of salt.
- Prepare of milk (I used unsweetened coconut milk).
- You need of egg yolks.
- It’s of vanilla.
- Prepare of almond extract.
- Prepare of butter.
Add in vanilla, coconut, and food coloring. Coconut cream pie is the stuff that dreams are made of: Crispy, flaky pie crust filled with a thick, creamy coconut custard and topped with mounds of homemade whipped cream. Use a high powered hand mixer or stand mixer to beat the cold cream, sugar and coconut flavor until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the cooled pie.
Coconut Custard Cream Pie step by step
- In large sauce pan toast coconut over very low heat, stirring VERY often. Very careful not to burn! Set coconut aside..
- Mix butter and crumbs and press into 9" pie shell and set aside..
- In same sauce pan, add flour, sugar, salt and milk. Separate eggs and put whisked yolks into bowl..
- Cook milk mixture over medium heat, stirring with a whisk until it boils. Cook 1 minute..
- Temper eggs (whisking yolks constantly as you slowly add about half the hot milk mixture).
- Return milk/yolk mixture to sauce pan and bring back to a boil, whisking constantly..
- Turn off heat and add extracts, butter, and just 2 cups of the toasted coconut (save 1/4 cup for garnishing the pie)..
- Mix thoroughly and pour into pie crust, top with remaining toasted coconut..
- Place pie on wire wrack and cool. Chill in fridge 2-4 hours or over night. Serve with whipped cream..
- To make it chocolate, add 4oz dark or semi-sweet chocolate into the flour/milk mixture before cooking. You can also toast some sliced almonds for the filling and/or garnish..
Sprinkle the remaining coconut flakes over the top of the pie. Refrigerate until serving and refrigerate any leftovers. Combine the eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl and beat on medium speed with an electric mixer – hand-held is fine – gradually adding the sugar. Add the heavy cream, milk, vanilla, coconut extract (if using) and salt; beat briefly, just until evenly combined. In a blender, combine milk, cream of coconut, shredded coconut, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and coconut.