Ham, with Black Eyed Peas and Yellow Rice. Discover All The Different Zatarain's® Recipes For Some New Orleans Flavor. Cook the rice with the cup of ham fat, marrow, and skin. Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat.
Add the ham, remaining water, the remaining salt, bacon, bay leaf, rice, onion and celery to the black-eyed peas and stir well. Rinse black eyed peas and remove any debris. In a large pot, combine ham hock, chicken broth, bay leaf and thyme. You can cook Ham, with Black Eyed Peas and Yellow Rice using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Ham, with Black Eyed Peas and Yellow Rice
- Prepare of Rice————.
- You need 2 cup of yellow rice.
- It’s 4 cup of water.
- It’s 1 cup of ham, ham fat with skin, and bone marrow.
- It’s of Black Eyed Peas————-.
- It’s 1 pound of dried black eyed peas.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1 of leftover ham shank from a smoked ham.
- Prepare 3 quarts of water +1 pint.
- Prepare To taste of hot vinegar sauce see my recipe optional.
Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add peas, diced ham, ham bone, tomatoes, lemon juice, bay leaves, Creole seasoning, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cover with chicken broth and bring to a boil. Wash the rice in a colander and set aside. (This removes all the extra starch from the rice, you don't want to skip this step!) Place sofrito, oil, tomato sauce and salt in the pot.
Ham, with Black Eyed Peas and Yellow Rice step by step
- Cook the rice with the cup of ham fat, marrow, and skin..
- Stir occasionally. When the water is absorbed and craters form cover take off the heat and don't disturb for 20 minutes. Don't peek do not lift that lid..
- Add the shank to 3 quarts of water.
- Wash and remove any bad peas and any foreign objects, like rocks and so on….
- When the shank has boiled for 30 minutes add the peas..
- Let them boil about 90 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the pint of water and bring back to boil. Let it boil 10 minutes. Cover and let sit 15 minutes..
- Add rice to a bowl.
- Add black eyed peas to the bowl. If you want to add the hot vinegar sauce now is the time..
- I hope you enjoy!.
Let it sautee for a few minutes and then add the ham and pigeon peas (the whole can, adding the water as well as peas). Add the black-eyed peas into pan with pork and add the other. Try this simple black-eyed peas with ham hocks recipe, also known as Hoppin' John. Serve with rice and freshly baked cornbread! Pick over the peas and rinse well, then soak in cold water overnight.