Smoked Chicken Drumsticks. Search for smoked chicken drumsticks recipe. Whatever You Need, Whatever You Want, Whatever You Desire, We Provide. Place drumsticks on the rack in the smoker.
Be sure to add more woodchips as they burn out to get that strong, smoky flavor. Place chicken drumsticks on a rack and place in the smoker. If desired, sear on a gas grill at high heat to crisp the skin. You can have Smoked Chicken Drumsticks using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Smoked Chicken Drumsticks
- It’s of drumsticks (10).
- It’s of AP rub.
- Prepare of (1 cup salt, 1/2 cup granulated garlic, 1/4 pepper).
- You need of BBQ Chicken Rub (see my recipe).
- You need of Wing Rub (same rub used on my smoked wings).
- Prepare of Sauces:.
- You need of Any kind you like, I used a trio of Buffalo, Hot BBQ and Teriyak.
Arrange the chicken drumsticks on the top and bottom shelf of the wire basket and place in smoker. Place the drumsticks on the smoker racks and place the racks inside the smoker. Add more wood chips and water as needed. Use the spice rub to generously season the chicken.
Smoked Chicken Drumsticks step by step
- Put the drumsticks, AP rub and enough water for them to be about half submerged into a zip top bag. Flip the bag every 6-8 hours and let brine at least 24 hours. A large enough vessel to completely submerge all under the water can be used if you have the room..
- After they have brined overnight pat dry and dust with the rub mixes. I did 8 with my chicken bbq rub and 2 with the wing rub for the ones I used the buffalo sauce on..
- When coated on all sides with the rub mix hang on a leg rack and let sit to get the chill off while the smoker comes to between 250°-275°..
- Let them smoke for 1-1/2 hours. Check them to see if a good color and slight crispness is set on the skin and some fat is starting to render out. If the skin is still on the light and rubbery side let them cook for another 15 – 30 minutes..
- Once the skin is dark and and the fat is starting to render coat with sauce and let cook 1/2 hour..
- Sauce again and smoke for another 15 minutes. Then let rest continuing to hang for another 15 minutes..
- Grab a couple to eat now and hold the rest back to store for other meals. If you're planning a party skip the brine but still use the AP rub as a coating before the rub. Then smoke at about 300°-350° and for about an hour less and only saucing once should be enough..
Mix all dry rub seasoning ingredients together in a mixing bowl and rub olive oil all over the chicken legs to fully coat the drumsticks. Rinse chicken legs and pat dry. Dry your chicken legs thoroughly with a paper towel. Add the baking powder and salt to a zip-top freezer bag with the legs, close the bag, and toss to coat evenly. We smoked with pecan wood, but your favorite wood can be used.