Macaroni schotel – my sister’s recipe. I asked my sister for the recipe. She always made this back home. We used corned beef here, but you can add or change with any of your preference (sausages, smoked beef, etc).
Try to get good quality macaroni pasta in a small-size cut. Because some macaroni has a bigger size so it makes the schotel a bit too pasta-ey. Melt the butter and pour the butter and milk egg mixture into the macaroni, onion garlic, ham bacon mixture and the grated cheese (leave a little cheese to garnish on top). You can cook Macaroni schotel – my sister’s recipe using 17 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Macaroni schotel – my sister’s recipe
- You need 1 cup of (full) dried pasta.
- You need 1 of onion slices.
- It’s 4 of garlics mince.
- It’s 1/2-1 of pepper slices/cubes.
- Prepare 1 of carrots shredded (optional).
- It’s 1 can of tuna in sunflower oil or brine (I used 150 gr corned beef this time) – cubes / minced.
- Prepare 1 cup of slices mushrooms- not gonna use next time, it makes the colour dark.
- It’s 200 ml of semi skimmed.
- You need 100 ml of double cream.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.
- You need 1 tsp of white pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of chilli powder (optional).
- You need to taste of Salt.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 3 of medium eggs.
- It’s 140 gr of cheese grated (any: I used cheddar mix with mozarella).
Grease an oven dish with butter. Put the macaroni mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle with the bread crumbs and the grated cheese. Prepare macaroni according to package directions to the "al dente" stage. Macaroni Schotel or baked macaroni is cooking Italian origin that are familiar in Indonesian society.
Macaroni schotel – my sister’s recipe step by step
- First: put aside some of the peppers, mushroom, onion and cheese for garnish in the end..
- Soak the pasta in warm salted water for 45 minutes..
- Get the oven ready on 180c, I used pyrex and smear it with butter all over the surface.
- Heat wok and add butter. Put the garlic and chilies stir till fragrant. Add pepper, mushroom and tuna/corned beef.
- Then add onions,carrots. Turn the heat low. In a jug, crack the eggs, and stirred well. Add with milk and cream, and add this to the wok in low heat. Mixed well..
- This where we put salt, nutmeg, sugar and white pepper. Taste it. Last, add the macaroni. Turn the heat to low. Add the cheese. Mix well..
- In pyrex that we prepared. Transfer the mixture. Then mushroom, pepper and onion that we set aside. Add cheese..
- Put in the middle for about 45-50 minutes, till it turn brown. If the below still wet, cover with foil and continue cooking..
This dish was originally introduced since the colonial. Macaroni schotel – my sister's recipe. First: put aside some of the peppers, mushroom, onion and cheese for garnish in the end. Melt the butter in a small frying pan and toss the seasoned bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs.