Ox Tail Soup. Customize your plan with delicious calorie-conscious, carb-conscious and vegetarian meals! Pour reserved water and browning over the oxtails and vegetables. Add savory, bay leaf, barley, salt, and pepper.
Add the tomatoes, bouillon, seasonings and water. In a large stock pot add oxtail, beef, potatoes, onion, tomatoes, celery, carrots, cabbage and cucumbers. Fill stock pot with water until all ingredients are covered. You can cook Ox Tail Soup using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Ox Tail Soup
- Prepare 6-8 lb of ox tails.
- It’s 2 of onions, whole.
- It’s 2 of onions, chopped.
- You need 10 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 3 of bay leaves.
- It’s 3 cans of tomato soup.
- You need 1 cup of barley (not "instant" barley").
- You need 2 lb of carrots, peeled and sliced.
- You need 10 stalks of celery, sliced.
- Prepare 2 of large onions, diced.
- Prepare 5 cups of cooked spaetzle (see spaetzle recipe).
Melt butter, add pieces of tail in a large stockpot. When the meat begins to brown, add onion. When onion is a deep gold, add stock, carrot, celery, tomatoes, wine and herbs tied securely in a cheesecloth bag. It is a flavorful, tough cut, perfect for slow braising in stews or soups, well marbled with fat, and here's the best part, the bones have a ton of collagen, so good for making a gelatinous stock.
Ox Tail Soup step by step
- In a large stock pot, add ox tails, then add water to cover the oxtails by an inch. Add whole onions, cloves of the garlic, and bay leaves. Bring to boil, cover and let simmer for 3 hours..
- Take out ox tails and refrigerate overnight. Discard whole onion and cloves of garlic from the broth. Refrigerate the broth and bay leaves separately from the ox tails overnight..
- Skim and remove the layer of fat from the broth. Trim fat from ox tails..
- In a large stock pot, add back in broth and ox tails. Add in tomato soup, bring to boil. Add barley. Cover and simmer for an hour..
- Add in carrots, celery, and onion. Let simmer for 15 minutes..
- Add in spaetzle. Remove bay leaves..
Oxtail soup is served all over Hawaii. Traditionally served as a first course for big events like wedding suppers, Christmas Day, or New Year's, German Oxtail Soup is a special treat. A rich beef and vegetable broth with paprika and pepper to add a little bite and Madeira and cream to round everything out, this soup takes awhile to make but is a real taste extravaganza. Oxtail soup, made with simple ingredients and a long slow simmer is one of those good old-time comfort soups that are extra special in the cold winter months. Additional portions of vegetables can change this oxtail soup into a thick and nutritious oxtail stew.