Blanquette de Veau ( White Veal Stew ). Browned veal, rich ingredients like heavy cream and egg yolks, and a good dose of patience in the kitchen. Remove veal to a mesh sieve; rinse well with cold water. Completely rinse out the pot until clean, then add the rinsed veal.
This traditional French recipe made of veal stew in cream sauce is called Blanquette de veau. this dish is extremely popular in France and belongs to the category of "plats en sauce" (meat dish with sauce), as a boeuf bourguignon or a coq-au-vin. This veal stew in cream sauce is perfect for a weekly dinner, or when you have guests over. Blanquette comes from the word blanc, which means white. You can have Blanquette de Veau ( White Veal Stew ) using 21 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Blanquette de Veau ( White Veal Stew )
- Prepare 3 1/2 lb of veal shoulder, cut into 2 inch cubes.
- You need 1 of large onion, peeled and cut i halff.
- You need 3 of celery stalks, cut in 1 inche pieces.
- Prepare 3 of carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces.
- It’s 3 of garlic cloves, minced.
- Prepare 10 cup of low sodium chicken broth.
- It’s 1 tsp of dryed thyme.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 5 of fresh parsley sprigs.
- You need 1 tsp of black pepper and salt to taste.
- You need 1 tsp of or more to taste of hot sauce, such as Frank's brand.
- It’s 2 cup of frozen pearl onions.
- Prepare 8 oz of small white button mushrooms.
- You need 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
- You need 3 tbsp of plus 1 teaspoon butter, salted or unsalted, divided use.
- Prepare 3 of large egg yolks, whisked with 2 tablespoons heavy cream.
- It’s 3 tbsp of all purpose flour.
- It’s of GARNISH.
- You need 1/4 cup of chopped chives and parsley, 2 tablespoons of each.
- You need 1 of cooked white rice to accompany recipe attached in direction step #11.
Alan Davidson (Oxford Companion to Food) says that blanquette is an etymological cousin of blanket, which was originally a white cloth. In this stew the meat, onions, and mushrooms, if used, are all white and are 'blanketed' in a creamy white sauce. Blanquette de veau is a traditional French dish known for its delicious creamy white sauce prepared with creme fraiche and egg yolks. Normally prepared with veal but there are many variants with lamb, poultry or fish, Simple to prepare comfort food, it is one of the favorite dishes of the French.
Blanquette de Veau ( White Veal Stew ) step by step
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot cover veal cubes and any bones with cold water. Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. This step is important to reduce the skum the meat produces and ensure a nice sauce later.
- Drain the meat, rinse to remove any skum and pat dry.
- Add the veal back to a clean large stockpot or dutch oven, add chicken broth, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, pepper and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer and simmer, uncovered for 2 hours. Skim off any skum that may form.
- Remove the meat and strain and reserve broth, meat, carrots and celery. Discard the onion, bay leaf, parsley and any bones.
- In a medium sacepan melt 1 teaspoon of the butter add the mushrooms and 1/2 cup reserved broth, poach mushrooms, turning occasionally until tender and the liquid is almost gone, add mushrooms and any liquid to reserved veal.
- Measure broth and if you have more then 6 cups add it to a saucepan and reduce by boiling until you have 6 cups.
- In a clean stockpot or dutch oven melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter, whisk in flour and whisk 2 minutes, do not allow it to brown.
- Slowly add reserved broth, bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes, add frozen inions, mushrooms and veal with carrots and celery and simmer on low 5 minutes, add cream and lemon juice and simmer 2 minutes more.
- Temper egg yolk mixture by wisking some hot stew sauce into them until they are hot and blended.
- Add this mixture to stew, whisking until blended. Simmer stew 10 to 15 minutes without boiling, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. Taste and add more salt, pepper or hot sauce if needed.
- Serve in bowls with white rice, recipe attached below Garnish with parsley and chives https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/348908-basmati-or-jasmati-rice-basic-recipe.
Add the butter to a large pot and place it over medium-high heat until melted. Then add the whole unpeeled garlic cloves, bay leaves and rosemary. Stir well and cook the herbs for a minute until fragrant. Now add the diced veal to the pot. To Prepare Veal Stew Tie the thyme, parsley and bay leaf together using butcher's twine to create a bouquet garni.