Chicken Haandi. For those of you who are new to Pakistani/Indian food, Chicken Handi is a common onion and tomato gravy based dish that has all the spices to make your taste buds light up! (there's a modification in the end to reduce the heat for those who can't handle it ok?) Add boneless chicken, half of the green chili, salt, red chili powder, remaining ginger/garlic and mix. Cook till it chicken changes color. Learn how to make Chicken Handi, one of the most popular chicken curry recipe at home with Neelam only on Get Curried.
What exactly is a handi Handi is a kind of cooking pan that was used in Indian cooking with a shallow depth and a wide bottom in olden days which was made of clay. Handi chicken is a delicious dish made with chicken cooked in a low flame for a long time. Handi is a Hindi word for an earthen pot and the traditional recipe is still made in an earthen pot and is slow-cooked in tandoor. You can cook Chicken Haandi using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken Haandi
- You need ½ kg of Chicken – (boneless).
- Prepare 1 cup of Onions – (make a paste in blender).
- Prepare 1 tsp of Garlic – . (paste).
- Prepare 1 tsp of Ginger – . (paste).
- You need 4 Tbsps of Oil – ..
- You need ½ tsp of Salt – . (adjust to taste).
- It’s ½ tsp of Chili powder – . (Adjust to taste while keeping in mind the use of green chilies in the recipe).
- Prepare 1 tsp of Cumin – . (crushed).
- You need 1 tsp of Coriander Dried whole – (crushed).
- Prepare ½ cup of Water –.
- It’s ½ of Lemon Juice lemon – (large).
- It’s 1 Tbsp of White Vinegar – ..
- It’s 1 of Chilies Green –.
- You need of Coriander Fresh for Garnish.
That is also one of the main reasons we shy away from cooking this at home. Heat the oil in a handi or large saucepan. Add the onions and the ginger and garlic paste and fry until lightly browned. Now add the tomatoes and green chilies and fry for a further few minutes.
Chicken Haandi step by step
- Heat the oil in a pan & add the onion paste..
- On high heat let it change color to pink. It will take 5-7 minutes..
- Now on medium heat add half of ginger & garlic. Also add cumin & coriander. Cook for another 1-2 mins..
- Add boneless chicken, half of the green chili, salt, red chili powder, remaining ginger/garlic and mix. Cook till it chicken changes color. Lower the heat..
- Now add ½ cup of water and let the chicken simmer for 1-2 mins..
- Now add the vinegar and lemon juice. Mix and cook till the water reduces to half, the oil has separated on the side and the smell of vinegar has disappeared from the food. It will take about 5-7 minutes on low heat..
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and green chilies. Pair it with Tandoori Roti and Mint Chutney..
Chicken Handi is a desi recipe belongs to Pakistani and Indian cuisines. This dish is cooked in Handi, (a clay-made cooking pot with a lid). It is a tradition to cook the recipe in clay-made pot however it can be cooked in any other pan with lid. Specialities include Pharsi Dhan Sak (lamb or chicken cooked with curries lentils) and the sweet sour Vinaloo vinegar marinade. Best Pakistani dishes restaurant near you.