Sweet purple potato bread loaf (using tongzhong recipe). Add yeast and sugar on one side of the bowl, put salt and the tongzhong on the opposite side. Add the purple sweet potato powder next to the tongzhong and in the middle of the flour, add the egg. Warm up the milk to room temperature and then pour the milk directly onto the yeast.
You get the starch matrix holding onto the liquid it was cooked in much like you would with Tangzhong, and you also end up using less flour because you're substituting potato. Hi, thanks for reading this recipe. I don't encourage using Yudane or Tangzhong Method for sweet potato bread it is because it will make the texture too moist. You can have Sweet purple potato bread loaf (using tongzhong recipe) using 13 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sweet purple potato bread loaf (using tongzhong recipe)
- It’s of Tongzhong.
- You need 13 g (=1tbsp) of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 65 g of milk (or water).
- It’s of Bread dough.
- You need 180 g of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 30 g of pure cane sugar.
- You need 60 g of milk.
- Prepare 2 g of salt.
- Prepare 3 g of yeast.
- It’s 15 g of butter.
- You need 30 g of egg.
- You need 3 Tbsp of natural purple sweet potato powder.
- Prepare of Tongzhong.
Potato starch also absorbs more water than wheat starch and this makes the bread texture more moist and have better shelf live. So, it does not need yudane dough. Purple sweet potato dough In the mixer, add all the water roux, and all the other ingredients under bread, except for the butter. Prepare the Water Roux / Tangzhong.
Sweet purple potato bread loaf (using tongzhong recipe) step by step
- First, prepare tongzhong: Mix the flour with the milk in a saucepan, stir until there are no lumps. Turn on the fire to low and heat up the mixture. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens. Remove the saucepan from fire when it starts to become doughy (Be careful when you see the milk start to thicken, as it will turn doughy very quickly) Place in a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Set it aside to cool down for use later..
- Add sieved flour into mixing bowl. Add yeast and sugar on one side of the bowl, put salt and the tongzhong on the opposite side..
- Add the purple sweet potato powder next to the tongzhong and in the middle of the flour, add the egg. Warm up the milk to room temperature and then pour the milk directly onto the yeast..
- Use the spatula to mix the ingredients together to form the dough.
- Put some flour on the table or kneading mat. Start kneading the dough. It will be sticky at the beginning and you can add a little flour to the table and on top of the dough while kneading. When the dough starts to form a smooth skin, add the butter into the dough and keep kneading. It would probably take around 5 minutes for the dough to absorb the butter and form a smooth skin. (Don't add any flour into the dough after adding the butter).
- Once the dough has formed a smooth skin and is no longer sticky, put in back in the mixing bowl and cover it with a cling wrap and let it rest for 1 hour until it doubles its size..
- Once it's doubled in size, take it out and place it on the table. Gently press the dough flat to remove the air inside..
- Fold the 2 sides of dough into the middle line. Then fold another 2 sides in the way. Keep the folding until the dough shapes like a bun. Then cover the dough with cling wrap again and let it rest for 15 minutes..
- Spread some flour on the table and then out the dough upside down on the table with the smooth skin under. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough. After the dough elongated to about 10"X 6" inches long, start roll the dough from 1 side to another.
- Cut the dough into pieces but don't separate them. Try to keep the dough into shape. Grease the baking pan with some melted butter. Put the dough into the pan and let it rest for another 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven in 180°C (350°F). Put the dough inside and bake for 18-20 minutes depends on your oven's size. I use those built-in oven so I bake this dough for 19 minutes..
- Take the bread out and wait for it to cool down. The bread is perfect, soft inside with a beautiful light purple color.
Cover the water roux and leave to cool. Meanwhile, mix Bread Flour, Sweet Potato Flour, Sugar, Salt, Milk and Yeast together in a large bowl. Brush the bread with some soy milk. My latest obsession is baking bread. So far I've jazzed up my favourite recipe for soft and fluffy honey buns with green onion and pork floss, kabocha and sweet potato.